Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Circling Approach Recency

• Jeffr87
  • Topic Author

Jeffr87 created the topic: Circling Approach Recency

Hi guys, sitting the exam next week and hoping to clarify a couple things;

Q45 in general questions: select the statement that correctly describes the recency requirements for the holder of an instrument rating to act as pilot in command of a single pilot ifr flight in IMC to an aerodrome with no other aids but an ndb.

Why is one of the requirements a circling approach in your last proficiency check when the NDB approach may not necessarily be a circling approach. What if it is SI-NDB? Wouldn't it have to specify which type of approach it is in the question in order to specify that you need to be recent on circling approaches?

Also:

Q43: You hold a command instrument rating and have completed 8 hours instrument flight time in the last 90 days in 2 pilot operations. 2 weeks ago, you completed 1 hour instrument flight time on an approved flight simulator, including one NDB approach. You can now conduct a single pilot ifr flight as pilot in command: you say that is true. I said false. CASR 61.870 says that you need to have conducted 3 instrument approaches in the last 90 days to act as pilot in command on an IFR flight. So how does one NDB approach 2 weeks ago satisfy this requirement?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jeffr87
  • Topic Author

Jeffr87 replied the topic: Circling Approach Recency

Anybody??

• Jeffr87
  • Topic Author

Jeffr87 replied the topic: Circling Approach Recency

Nevermind, @Macedonranges helped me with this one. For anybody that might have been also waiting for an answer on this; a circling approach is basically considered the most dangerous instrument approach. Whilst you may be shooting a SI-NDB approach, you may come out of the clouds at mda and find you are too close to the runway and therefore too high to make the approach. You would then need to circle to join the circuit or do whatever is necessary as per the DAP. If you were not current on circling approaches, you wouldn't be able to do this. Still unsure whether it is an actual legal requirement to be recent on circling approaches as theoretically you could conduct a missed approach, go around and try again for the straight in approach. Though I doubt any chief pilot would be happy with you taking .2 of an hour's worth of fuel to do so. Doesn't say in the regs that you need to be current on circling approaches in order to act as PIC in single pilot ops as Bob says but if anybody can explain that I'm all ears.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds