Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Pract exam question DME/GPS

• linc90
  • Topic Author

linc90 created the topic: Pract exam question DME/GPS

Hi Rich one of the online practice exams has me a bit confused because not current on GNSS I cant do the DME/GPS arrival ? or can I because I am using only distance and assuming using VOR for tracking information ?

Refer to ERC 4.

You are tracking into Proserpine from Hughenden via W685 in VH-OZY. You are not current on RNAV[GNSS] approaches.

If the actual QNH is not available, the lowest altitude to which you may descend in IMC before you first cross the Proserpine VOR is -

Select one:

870 feet

3100 feet

4500 feet Incorrect

5100 feet

Feedback

The question says before you first cross the aid. The DME/GPS arrival will get you much lower than any other approach before you first cross the aid.

Check out the DME/GPS arrival procedures for Prosperpine.

Your inbound track from Hughenden is 078°M. That puts you in Sector C between 114 and 045°M.

IREX_109

The MDA for this approach is 870 feet and 2.4km.

NOTE: if you had the current QNH from the Proserpine AWIS, you could take 100ft of the MDA and descend to 770ft with a visibility of 2.4km.

The correct answer is: 870 feet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Pract exam question DME/GPS

Hi Linc,

An RNAV GNSS approach is a different beast to a DGA arrival. In the arrival you are using the GNSS (or DME) for distance information only and you will still need some ground-based aid to provide tracking guidance. You can't do a DGA using the GNSS for tracking AND distance information on the arrival procedure.

The RNAV/GNSS approach is a different procedure and yes it does required currency.

Cheers,

Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds