Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX practice questions

• Fish
  • Topic Author

Fish created the topic: IREX practice questions

Hi Guys,

Sitting IREX next week, and I have your book and just purchased the practice exams. On the first test, I have one question which I didn't get right but doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Question

You have entered the holding pattern for the Lismore RNAV (GNSS) approach at LSYNI. As you track outbound in the holding pattern, you allow for 8 degrees of right drift and find that this heading maintains the required track.
After completing the turn to track inbound to LSYNI, the heading to use to maintain the required track of 146°M would be

Answer 138 degrees M.

This seems reverse to me. If you are heading outbound and have 8 degrees right drift on a track of 326, the wind would be coming from the left and the heading should be 318, thus on the reciprical you should maintain a heading of 154 to counter the wind from the left. If you could shed some light on it, that would be great.
Cheers

Fish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Simmo

Simmo replied the topic: IREX practice questions

on your way back the wind would be coming from the right

• DaVeHU

DaVeHU replied the topic: IREX practice questions

I've got the same question just now and I think that the explanation text (and the "good answer' is not aligned.

The text in the explanation (and in the question) says that "If you allow for 8° of right drift outbound, the wind must be coming from your left" but the picture is showing wind from the right (on the outbound).

I think the correct answer should be 154 degrees for the inbound. (right drift = wind from left on the outbound, and after the 180 turn, you'd get the wind from the right -> left drift. You'd need to turn into the wind (to compensate for the drift, which is 8 to the right -> 146 track + 8 drift = 154).

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: IREX practice questions

Yep, you are correct. This question has come unstuck during the major edits we've been making in preparation for the May 26th Air Services updates. I have repaired that question so it makes more sense now. Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Rich

• DaVeHU

DaVeHU replied the topic: IREX practice questions

Wooow, that was ultra quick :D
Thanks for that!

• Fish
  • Topic Author

Fish replied the topic: IREX practice questions

Cheers, thanks for the reply.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds