Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX - Instrument Serviceability

• Stobsy
  • Topic Author

Stobsy created the topic: IREX - Instrument Serviceability

Good morning Gents,

I have a question about the instrument serviceability aspect of the IREX. I am confused as to when the instrument can be placarded as U/S and when it has to be removed.

CAO 20.18 10.2 states that: "the serviceable instruments or equipment must be prominently placarded "UNSERVICEABLE" OR removed from the aircraft".

Some sample questions are looking for the item to be removed and others seem to want the item to be placarded U/S. Is there a reference I am missing? The CAO excerpt above is in relation to Private, Aerial Work, Charter and RPT so what delineates the requirement to completely remove the instrument?

Thanks,

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Migraine

Migraine replied the topic: IREX - Instrument Serviceability

Hi Chris,

Did you ever get a response to your question from anyone? I'm scratching my head also at this section of the IREX study book:

All equipment fitted to IFR CHTR/RPT aircraft must be serviceable prior to take off with the caveat that if there is an unserviceability, then the MEL is consulted in order to obtain a 'Go - No Go'

If it's a 'No Go', then the aircraft is handed back to the engineers, or CASA issue a dispensation. If it's a 'Go' then either placard, or remove the u/s item as dictated by the minimum equipment list.

With regards to IFR PVT/AWK aircraft, all equipment REQUIRED to be fitted, must be serviceable prior to take off.

From what I read, it seems the same caveat applies. If it's listed within the aircraft's MEL, either action by placarding, remove the u/s item or obtain a permission from CASA.

Would be interested in how others view CAO 20.18 10.1 and CAO 20.18 10.1 a (b)

• carrera

carrera replied the topic: IREX - Instrument Serviceability

Hi stosby, ill give this one a crack for you. Just passed my IREX and although i didn't get asked about serviceability it did come up often in practice exams.

You are able to 'placard it as UNSERVICEABLE' if it is a PERMISSIBLE unserviceability. If not, then it must be removed. . You would then need to look it up in the MEL. Refer to bob tait chapter 2 on IFR aircraft, he does mention it in his book, not entirely obvious, since i had to re read that section a couple of times

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds