Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX EXAM INFO

• millerwonga
  • Topic Author

millerwonga created the topic: IREX EXAM INFO

Well thank the good lord that I managed to pass from 2 weeks of home study on the first attempt even more so (sitting it twice would majorly suck) with a comfortable 83%, not my best nor my worst mark in my exams till now but I'll take it none the less.

Guy's like a lot of people have already made reference to, the exam is tough, far from impossible however. If you can absorb what essentially is the method of nutting out a question half the battle is won in terms of the actual exam, RTFQ then RTFQ again and maybe once more. In my test I had 3-4 gimme's which where either straight from ersa (Emergency) or AIP (e.g.- minimum obstacle clearance on a missed approach is....(if you don't know, then learn)). A lot of questions WILL give you excess info, and also throw a few dirty trick questions your way, like cleared for the LOC on RWY 15 with a PEC of 20 feet. so you would say well PEC is only ILS and if your cleared then obviously you have a QNH so you knock 100 of the LOC minimum only, simple once you know that the question is asking.

I had 1 Q on NVFR recency , which fortunately Bob hammers in the practice exams so it was straight forward. A few on alternate minimums and also understanding when and if any holding when going into an aerodrome. i.e Brisbane and Sydney.also knowing the rules regarding the validity of a TAF 30 minutes after 60 minutes before the end of.

My recommendation is definently purchase the online exams and don't get used to just knowing any answer but for each question working through the appropriate steps, to find the appropriate answer as this exam is as much a law exam as it is a flight planning and navigation exam, so having a sound ability to navigate the AIP is a must. (USE ALL YOUR ALLOWABLE TABS)

I got a questions on general meteorology downdraughts (what the most likely scenario was), SID's, STAR's and a couple of moderately tricky ADF questions- on those it really is important to not fall for CASA's usual misleading terms, e.g if the questions says at the MAPt it means the heading at the MAPt...

Last thing which from memory Bob's book makes reference to only once (in an answer no less) is when asked a route altitude 2 things other than the ERC chart, the ERSA route plans and also look at the appropriate TAC chart as it will often have MORE suitable info then an ERC (also remember no reporting required when already in CTR!!).

I am not smart..... I was definently the class clown when I did my Commercial studies at the school, the back right corner for my fellow hombres who've done anything in Redcliffe- was my own territory. The thought of self studying this exam was daunting, but it is do able. I hope this post can help those preparing feel a little more comfortable before their own test. (I would recommend having completed your commercial subjects before doing this exam as a lot of the content will make more sense when you have a sound knowledge of the basics)

A shout out to Bob and Rich for helping a lot of us realise our own individual goals, you guys are great, I myself am sooooooooo glad that this bad boy is out of the way and ATPL's will be put on the back burner for a while!
:whistle: :whistle:
Jack.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds