Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Brisbane ILS without DME

• lewis.mcmullen
  • Topic Author

lewis.mcmullen created the topic: Brisbane ILS without DME

Hi,

I'm working through the practice questions in the IREX study guide and have question with CIR revision set 2, question 9 on page 312. Q9 says that you're on the ground at BN, with an unserviceable DME, and intend with return to Brisbane if an engine failure after take off occurs in IMC. What is the take-off minima?

The answer in the book is 300ft ceiling with and 2km vis after you use the ILS to get back down, however all the ILS approaches at Brisbane for RWY 19 require the DME. My understanding is that because the DME is unserv any approach that requires it can't be used, leaving only the ILS approaches for RWY 01 to the circling minima available for maneouvre onto RWY 19. This means the take-off minima would be the circling minima for ILS RWY 01 in this case, or am I on another wild goose chase?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Brisbane ILS without DME

Brisbane 19-Z ILS has a note saying that GPS may be used instead of DME. So you can base your take-off minima on the availability of the 19-Z ILS. However, you cannot take-off with anything less than 300 feet and 2 kilometers because you are not a qualifying aircraft. If it becomes necessary to return to Brisbane, you could still fly the 19 ILS and expect to become visual by 300 feet with 2 kilometers visibility.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds