Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

ATIS Frequencies amd LSALT

• lewis.mcmullen
  • Topic Author

lewis.mcmullen created the topic: ATIS Frequencies amd LSALT

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and from what I've seen it looks like a great tool. I've recently attempted my IREX with no luck, and I have 2 questions (for now) that I am quite unsure of:
1. Travelling from Mt Isa to Cairns with Townsville as an alternate, what one frequency would I tune up to get the ATIS for BOTH Cairns and Townsville? Neither of these 2 aerodromes have a common ATIS frequency...

2. Travelling from Hobart to Wynyard IFR in OZY, the weather states:
cloud from 5000-12000
freezing level at 7300
LSALT at 6300
The question says what is the best cruising level?

The way I looked at it was 8000 was the level in accordance with the IFR cruise tables, however due to lack of anti-ice its unsuitable. 7000 I deemed unsuitable as it's not in accordance with the cruising tables, and its only 300ft below freezing level and would in practice the airframe would still freeze. And the LSALT 6300 is unsuitable as it's only 2 degrees below freezing level, and in practice would still freeze while in cloud so anti-ice would be required.

My answer was no suitable level available, but the exam didn't agree. Can anyone provide some guidance on this?

Cheers!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: ATIS Frequencies amd LSALT

If you check ERSA you will find a service called AERIS (automatic en route information service) www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current...-2-9_03-Mar-2016.pdf you will find the answer there.

I don't know why you say that if you are below the freezing level you might still get icing. That is not the accepted view. Above the freezing level ice is possible, below the freezing level it is not. If you are going to say that ice is still possible below the freezing level, you will have to know how far below the freezing level you can assume it will not be possible. That's not acceptable for flight planning purposes.

Bob

• FlyDee

FlyDee replied the topic: ATIS Frequencies amd LSALT

I guess you'd have to cruise at LSALT (6300) as 8000ft isn't possible because of Freezing Level being at 7300. Looking in the ERSA, I believe the frequency you'd need to tune to get ATIS for BOTH cairns and Townsville is 120.35

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds