Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX - helpful information

• Watkin
  • Topic Author

Watkin created the topic: IREX - helpful information

Dear Bob and Team,
A Merry Xmas, and prosperous New Year. I passed the IREX by self study last week with a 90% pass mark.

I just want to make a few quick notes to fellow students of the IREX.

I exclusively used the Bob tait IREX study guide, and purchased 4 On-line practice exams. All of these resources were very helpful, the on-line exams are worth every dollar.
In partnership with the Bob Tait material for the IREX I used the Jeppesen publications. I found the JEPPS very friendly once the initial navigation of the material was conquered. I researched the JEPPS vs. Air Services argument for a few weeks. I made the decision to take on the JEPPS publications because I found that most of the regional airlines use the JEPPS material, and making the transition now would be in my favour long term. I do understand it is more expensive to use JEPPS due to the subscription, as it is my belief you can print off the Air Services material direct from the website.

One important note though. During the Bob Tait practice exams, and in the real CASA IREX exam particular questions would make reference to ERC 1, 2, 3 etc. I found that those references were assuming the candidate was using the Air Services publications. On many occasions I had to quickly determine which ERC to consult, not hard or impossible, just a quick mental arithmetic of the lat/ long provided and then drill into the appropriate chart.

Questions present in the CASA IREX.

2-3 questions regarding PART 61 Single pilot IFR recency. One particular tested the candidate’s ability to interpret Single Pilot Operations and weather the recency requirements were met for Single Pilot IFR even if you had flown, DUAL, AICUS in a Single Pilot aircraft operation. CASA CAR

2-3 questions regarding Alternate requirements.
I can recall one question, that said you had departed A at time 1030UTC, without a forecast for B. Departure aerodrome A current TAF expires at 1130UTC. Flight time from A-B is 40 mins. What is the minimum fuel required. A) The flight cannot be completed b) xx c) xx d) xx. Note that you can depart aerodrome A, without a forecast for B provided it is obtained EN-route and within 30 minutes after departure. However, if you had to return to the departure aerodrome A, I was ensure of the requirement to have a valid forecast for your arrival 60 minutes after you ETA. I think I may have over complicated the question in anticipation of a ‘trick’ question and consequently answered incorrectly. BOB TAIT IREX Chapter 3

Rime Ice, type of cloud and associated turbulence Bob Tait CPL Meteorology Page 4.7-4.16
NDB/ADF Coastal refraction Bob Tait Chapter 1
Final approach Fix speeds JEPPS TERMINAL AU-16 2.3.1
Vectoring Procedures and time between transmissions JEPPS ATC TRAFFIC CONTROL AU1001 3.3.8
VOR range JEPPS RADIO AIDS AU3.3.2.1
ADF tracking and Intercepts Bob Tait IREX Chapter 1
Ground operation of Radar equipment Bob Tait IREX Chapter 2 Page 2.5
Radio failure procedures when approaching given a conditional limit clearance JEPPS EMERGENCY AU-4 3.3.2.1
Sector entry JEPPS TERMINAL AU-6 3.2

I hope this information may help your study, and re-inforce that the Bob Tait/ JEPPS material is a great resource to achieve a good result for the examination.

Good Luck to all those studying the IREX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: IREX - helpful information

Hi Watkin. Thanks for your feedback and congratulations on a really excellent result - especially for home study. Only one student in the last full-time IREX class did as well as that!

Have a great new year and once again well done!

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds