Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Logging instrument approaches in VMC for recency

• Jeffreaj
  • Topic Author

Jeffreaj created the topic: Logging instrument approaches in VMC for recency

Just got back from some VFR flying in USA. Out of interest I looked at the requirements for foreign holders of Instrument rating but way too hard, basically have to do the USA exams and flight test (understandable given their weather, terrain and traffic). Noted that the FAA requires that approaches must include instrument time in order to be logged for recency.

Can you confirm that under Part 61 the same is not true here? I can go and fly an approach solo entirely in VMC and log the approach for recency?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Logging instrument approaches in VMC for recency

Part 61 makes no mention of the pilot being in IMC to claim recency on an approach. For example 61.870 (7) says:
"The holder is authorised to conduct a course deviation indicator operation only if the holder has conducted a course deviation indicator operation within the previous 90 days in a an aircraft or an approved flight simulation training device for the purpose."
If you have done it in an aeroplane, it doesn't say it had to be in IMC. In fact in Alice Springs in winter time you might have trouble finding any IMC to fly in for months at a time.

• Jeffreaj
  • Topic Author

Jeffreaj replied the topic: Logging instrument approaches in VMC for recency

Thanks, I can't find any mention of it either. Even down here in Vic over summer my flying days often coincide with little or no cloud or a base well above the approach.

• Steve gee

Steve gee replied the topic: Logging instrument approaches in VMC for recency

Yes my instructor told me that but take a safety pilot and announce that you are doing "Practice Approach"
because flying simulated IFR by yourself VFR is not the smartest trick in the book even though it might be legal.
so if in doubt put in a flight plan then you will get traffic.
And don't forget keep lookout.
Time and time again I go practising approaches and have to give way to conflicting VFR student traffic.
Its the right thing to do.
And remember this is not about ticking the boxes to satisfy the rules this is about you and your ability and all the other factors that make IFR flying risky.
You might be able to have the situational awareness but have you noticed recently how many overseas students with a minimum command of the English language and training here in Australia, flying C172s barge into circuits with minimal inbound unreadable calls and circuit entry calls?

No offence..
2 cents.

• Jeffreaj
  • Topic Author

Jeffreaj replied the topic: Logging instrument approaches in VMC for recency

My question was triggered by my experience in the States and the differences that apply despite us being sold Part 61 on the basis of it bringing us into alignment with the rest of the world. Wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something buried in the CASR.
Agree about the obligation to see and avoid and maintain communication and situational awareness - I never fly under the hood without another pilot - and to take traffic into account (a busy CTAF environment probably not the best time). It's just as risky when descending in IMC in class G (perhaps even more so) as I find quite a few VFR pilots are prepared to push the limits of VMC beyond my comfort level - the reason I did IFR training in the first place - and don't necessarily expect another aircraft to pop out of the clouds (as happened just the other day when approaching in rain with a 1200 ft base!)
I don't think you're ever ticking the boxes when at the controls of an aircraft. As a recently qualified CIFR PPL who can't fly every day I fly IFR at every opportunity as it's about much more than just being proficient on instruments (and my wife thinks it definitely beats bumping around under the Melbourne CTA!). I'll also often fly the approach (99% of the time RNAV as none of the places I go have ILS, few have VOR and I didn't bother with NDB) as you get a lot more out of doing it in the aircraft rather than in the sim even in VMC. Do the checks, make the calls, setup the aircraft, fly the procedure, establish a smooth glidepath at target airspeed and VS, accurately correct for drift based on instrument indications and do it by hand rather than always relying on that fancy GFC700 that will always do it better than you can. In any case, even when commencing in IMC you usually pop out and fly the bulk of the approach visual.
For me it's not about planning to fly to the minima especially if I haven't flown IMC for a few weeks. I need to be proficient if the need arises but a good piece of advice given by an experienced private IFR pilot was to remember that single pilot private IFR ops in light aircraft can be about as challenging as it gets - my IR allows me to fly under the IFR, not in every sort of crap weather.

• ZAZ

ZAZ replied the topic: Logging instrument approaches in VMC for recency

Good call and could not agree more.
I have just signed up to do ONE FPA A GDA after years of IFR and also dropping back to PIR from CIR
I fly single engine and in recent weeks flying with a good old boy from WAC
I have learned heaps from him about flight prep and how the IF approach is lost or won if you don't set up the approach correctly right at the LSALT.
Been doing lots of reading and looking here and avoiding being a smart ass old pilot.
never too old to learn new tricks.
Now I am going into a SIm to do the GDA which I think is a bit like AI. LOL
I would rather feel the bumps and thumps.
Did my first DUAL in over ten years that was a hoot.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds