Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Practical Recency from a VFR flight instructor

• DanBay
  • Topic Author

DanBay created the topic: Practical Recency from a VFR flight instructor

Hi Bob and everyone.

I have an Instrument rating but haven't flown IFR in over 6 months. but still have another 5 months left on my rating before a renewal is due. The CASR Part 61 states for Azimuth/CDI/3D/2D approaches you must have conducted and approach in the last 90 days (among the aditional requirements). But the CASR doesn't explain how to get that approach. Ie. with the 3 take offs and landings. you can do them solo and then you can take passengers.

Can i go and hire an aircraft and do 3 practice approaches Solo and my hour of IFR etc. and then go and take passengers? or am i prohibited from even flying IFR Solo???

Any info will help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 263

bobtait replied the topic: Practical Recency from a VFR flight instructor

It doesn't say you have to have done the approach in IMC, it just says you have to have done the approach. So you can do the recency in flight in VMC if you like or you can do the approach in a synthetic trainer. CASR 61.870 (4) to (6).

• DanBay
  • Topic Author

DanBay replied the topic: Practical Recency from a VFR flight instructor

So if the forecast meets VFR alternate minima i can go and fly IFR in VMC? and then what? if i encounter cloud i must either divert around it and/or downgrade VFR? Same for the approach? and i can do this with Pax on board?
It kind of makes sense, but it feels like an assumption is being made. Yet another scenario where i just wish the CASRs would come out and just say what they mean...

• ZAZ

ZAZ replied the topic: Practical Recency from a VFR flight instructor

To fly in IFR or conduct an approach in IMC you MUST meet recency
within previous 90 days
3 hours logged IFR with ONE HOUR in aircraft of type
SPIFR ONE HOUR PIC ONE APPROACH SP/IFR or SIM
to conduct approach in IMC
RNAV 3 logged approaches (initial issue or exam)
and ONE NPA of same type within previous 6 months
if no NPA
NDB/VOR approach visual or VFR in previous 90 days
I think RNAVs now 90 days

The you have the stuff about carrying passengers and night blah blah blah

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds