Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Private IFR HF radio requirements.

• CptMalcom
  • Topic Author

CptMalcom created the topic: Private IFR HF radio requirements.

Hello.

I'm wanting to know what the requirements are to carry a HF radio for a private IFR flight. If I'm departing a non-controlled aerodrome that is within VHF coverage on the PCA, but the ERSA entry for the aerodrome has Centre coverage in the circuit only, do I need to carry a IFR approved HF to plan to depart from this aerodrome under the IFR, or can I use AIP ENR-1.1 40.1 and use a SARTIME for departure?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 263

bobtait replied the topic: Private IFR HF radio requirements.

Any IFR aircraft must be able to communicate with ATS at all times, including on the ground. If you operate IFR you would have to limit your operations to aerodromes where VHF is available on the ground.

• ZAZ

ZAZ replied the topic: Private IFR HF radio requirements.

I have been IFR no HF in three planes for 30 years .day and night.
As recent as two days ago at WKB and NHL we landed and cancelled SAR.
Then got going again an hour later.
As soon as you are airborne you call CENTRE and activate plan and obtain traffic and code and don't go IMC until you have.
Enroute you nominate sar time for first contact with CENTRE by VHF e.g. onway to Alice from Leigh Creek.
You can do sartime for ETD as well.
Very rarely down here do you hear hf frequencies read out
Sharp Airlines runs RPT and no HF.
There is no VHF on ground at PORTLAND or WARRNAMBOOL where they land and take off.
They have ground agents.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds