Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

The dreaded IREX is a thing of the past.

• JethroButton
  • Topic Author

JethroButton created the topic: The dreaded IREX is a thing of the past.

Morning all!
After the 2 week course with Bob and a week of self study afterwards I've just passed the IREX exam with 85%

Here is a few things to note.
The advise I got the night before the exam was not to get hung up on questions that will take a long time. Come back to them once you are through all the others. It was great advise!
I had an answer in for all the questions with 1.5 hours to spare. This gave me plenty of time to go back to the tricky ones and work through them methodically.
The first thing I did when I got in was do a bit of a memory dump. I wrote out A.C.V.W.P.L.S and noted all the rules relating to this. I also wrote out the recency requirements. I found I didn't have to refer to this much but when going back and checking my questions it was very helpful to have a bit of a check list.

If you have read and absorbed the book and are familiar with finding things in the AIP... And ERSA EMERG, there will be no major surprises.
The only question I wasn't expecting was one to do with the time period between contact with ATC when being radar vectored onto an ILS.
I finally found the AIP reference after a solid 15 minutes of searching. I won't tell you the answer but have a good read of AIP ENR 1.6 PARA 3.8
The hardest questions where the ones that took the longest and they were without a doubt the holding fuel or alternate fuel questions. Practice these suckers to death and note that bobs practice questions are quite clear in what they are asking you about. In the actual test this isn't the case. They will tell you about lighting and cloud base and aerodrome shape and MSA and the colour of your underwear and then ask you if you can balance a soccer ball on your nose?
Of course the answer is yes... you do need an alternate because you have a passenger and only 1 serviceable airborne AID.

Some of the easy questions to make sure you are confident with.
-I had a question on OBS setting to determine when abeam an off track VOR... Make sure you Remember **Left drift = Minus - **Right drift = Plus
-Speed limits for holding pattern... Make sure you check if the approach is limited to only CAT A&B Aircraft.
-NDB Range... Make sure you check the ERSA for sectors of variation on range. For example... Flying Portland to Mount Gambier (ERC Low 1.) What is the range of the Mt Gambier NDB? = check the ERSA it's 50NM (This was not my question in the exam but if you can answer this you can do the exam question.)
-Question on turbulence. Lee side or windward side. Fluffy clouds or Lens shaped clouds.
-Climb out and approach gradient questions. Remember it is Ground speed X Gradient as a %. Not gradient in degrees.
-Make sure you know when you need to change your altimeter if you are descending from above the transition layer.

Thats all I can think of right now.

I'd like to thank you guys, Bob, Richard and Lee for all your help getting through CPL and IREX. All the courses are brilliant and the atmosphere in the class rooms is great.
Super happy I'm done but kind of sad I won't get to come and do any more classes.

10.3 degrees everyone!
Happy flying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: The dreaded IREX is a thing of the past.

On ya Jethro! Thanks for posting and it was good to have you on board for the courses. Make sure you pop in and say "Hi" next time you're about!
Cheers,
Rich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds