Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Exam questions help

• B777
  • Topic Author

B777 created the topic: Exam questions help

Hi Guys. Unfortunately I could only manage 63% for the IREX exam last week so will have to do it all over again. My documents where not up to date and I didn't get through all the online exams which cost me. There was a few questions I was unsure about and couldn't work out from the book. first question was something like:

"You have been given clearance to take off and climb to 2500 and maintain runway hdg. Your climb tas is 140 with a 10kt tailwind. The chart had the grad 4.7% to 1500ft, thence 3.3%. What is the climb gradient required to comply with the initial clearance." All the questions in the book only had a single percentage required for obstacle clearance. I tried calculating the 2 percentages separately none of them where close to any of the answers. I also calculated both and found the average of the two but still no clear answer. What is the correct way to calculate this given two separate grad percentages?

"On final for a GPS (GNSS) approach you find you lost coverage with the NDB. Do you continue approach or conduct missed approach. I said missed approach but I think it was a simple trick question as NDB had nothing to do with it."

Thanks, Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bonanza

Bonanza replied the topic: Exam questions help

Hi B777
I sat my IREX today and had a similar question.
The questioned asked what the initial percentage was, and I answered 4.7%
I agree with your second question, the NDB is not part of the approach.
cheers
Ben

• CDGF

CDGF replied the topic: Exam questions help

Hi mate

If you have been given a tas 140 and tail wind of 10 then your tas becomes 150. Which the initial climb will have to be calculated at 150x4.7 which is 705ft and passing 1500ft above 150x3.3 which is 495ft. Most often the answer will be rounded to closest (700ft & 500ft).

Second one as you said nothing to do with the ndb.

• B777
  • Topic Author

B777 replied the topic: Exam questions help

Thanks for the help guys. Yes I did calculate it that way and got those answers for the two separate segments of the climb. The only thing is there is only one FPM given per answer. I think the answers where something like 440, 540, 670 amd 770. I think I went with 770 as you don't want to take chances with the terrain even though this value is even higher that climbing at 4.7%. Even though the answer of 670 is the closest if you climb at 670 FPM the whole way you will not have enough clearance for the first part of the climb as this will require 705 FPM until 1500. This question is doing my head in lol.

• CDGF

CDGF replied the topic: Exam questions help

Hi mate

Yep I totally agree with that if I would go for the highest which is 770ft.
I think I remember one which is not the same but bit similar and the answer was 40ft extra.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds