Header1200x385

× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX Break Down

• CDGF
  • Topic Author

CDGF created the topic: IREX Break Down

Hi Everyone,

I finished off my irex and thought i will give some info on the exam specially for those who are self studying as well as others on course i know how much difficult it can be and how hard it is to grasp the information so hope this little info will help some of the ones I can remember.

* The exam will not mention that its a IFR charter the question will always say "you are planing a flight" and we MUST assume that its a IFR charter ( Unless other wises specified its a PVT IFR Charter...ect..)

* Read the question very well specially when it comes to cloud ceiling/minima know what they are asking & when calculating Low Safe specially if they not mentioned anything about adding 5nm buffer do NOT add it if they need it they will say to add it. the answers will obviously have the 5nm added and without so do not get excited and add 5nm if it not told do only what is told :)

* I got only a three recency questions which is very direct on NVFR & recency for a 2D approach & Single pilot operation and the recency for it.

* Rated coverage question flight from A to B - A has one NDB with 65 rated cov & B has obe with 45 nm rated coverage what is the greatest distance permitted.

* Instrument arrival on YSSY there was one on MARLON RNAV arrival and holding at SHARK doing the appropriate sector entry what direction and head will you turn on to the holding pattern.

* Alternate requirements on given flight plans asking of the fuel requirements or alternates (Make sure to read this carefully coz they will give a aerodrome that has only one NDB and say one ADF is not serviceable but the weather according to given TAF is fine but need to consider AID's needed for IFR charter ) ect... so A.C.V.W.P.L.S

* Planing for arrival on lower safe altitudes what is the minimum distance you may decent ? what DME distance you will enter CTA ? ect.

* Question on what naboring NDB/VOR/DME can be used given one in departure/destination is non serviceable.

* ILS approach question asking what DME distance you will decent on example ( Maltese cross) FAF.

* LOC approach at the MM what height should you be (Remember this is not the heigh printed above but the one printed below that say LOC)

* GPS arrival RAIM is not available what what is the lowest level you may decent on GPS ?

* Few MET questions (mountain waves & what side will be the down draft & turbulence if rotor & lenticular clouds are present ) & What type of Ice will be in AC with -12C.
* Speed chart on what max IAS should you fly when doing on approach final / holding ect..

It allays helps to be very familiar with the AIP and know where to refer to will save you lots of time.

Not much but only some i can remember hope this will help and give an idea what to expect.

All the best & Good Luck to you all.

Cheers.
Glen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jeffr87

Jeffr87 replied the topic: IREX Break Down

This makes no sense. Why would you only add a 5nm buffer if the question asks when it is a mandatory requirement?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds