Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX PASSED

• drewst10@bigpond.net.au
  • Topic Author

drewst10@bigpond.net.au created the topic: IREX PASSED

Today I sat the IREX for the second time and passed with 85%. :)

Thank you Bob and the team for this helpful forum.
The exam was a little easier sitting it for the second time. There is no substitute for knowing your stuff when it comes to this exam. Like many I self studied, with an older 2007 Bob Tait Irex book and utilised the practice exams on offer as well as the updates on this site. Those practice exams really help reinforce the knowledge I learnt from the book and I highly recommend them.

The questions in the real exam will be offered to you in a slightly different format BUT don't let that throw you off! Look and read carefully what the question is really asking of you and go from there. Some questions are way easier than others and you will probably know the answer in your head but look carefully once again before ticking a box. Some of the questions you can just flip through the AIP's or ERSA etc and get the answer from there which are almost giveaways. Others you will need to apply the correct formula in order to arrive at the correct answer, so KNOW THOSE TOO.

I used this formula in both my exams. d = D / 60 x 10.3 and a couple of others which I got correct. When reading the question relating to this, if the extra 5NM is not mentioned it will mean they don't want you to add it. They may mention ( not including the 5NM buffer).

About 5-7 alternate requirement questions and a few recency ones.

I found some of the questions were asking for smaller information regarding the instrument approach charts such as minimum visiblilty or when to turn etc. Approach speeds will be in there and in both exams I had a question relating to an departure minimum vis for a QUALIFYING AIRCRAFT. <<--- KNOW THIS or where to find it. I got that one correct after changing my answer from looking it up in the AIP's.

Guys , most importantly, this is a hard exam but far from impossible, even with the way CASA word the questions. I am 42 years old and lining myself up for a twin turbine job. I failed my first exam by one question and felt like I'd been kicked in the guts. I had a few days grace and re read Bobs book and found a heap of things I'd missed (which cost me the last exam). Do all the questions in the book and more if you can online and you will set yourself up for a proud moment when you see that 'PASS" on the screen.

Good luck and thanks again to Bob and the team.

Cheers
Drew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CDGF

CDGF replied the topic: IREX PASSED

Congrats mate did you do your exams in ysbk yesterday

• drewst10@bigpond.net.au
  • Topic Author

drewst10@bigpond.net.au replied the topic: IREX PASSED

Thanks Mate. Exam was done in Mackay

Cheers
Drew

• CDGF

CDGF replied the topic: IREX PASSED

Oh thought u did it I. Ysbk I did mine yesterday same as your first attempt got 68% was doing well on bobtait exams av 85% but this got me off surprise the exam is totally different to I was used to gonna do it again next week mate. All the best to you again enjoy the flying now !
Cheers
Glen

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds