Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Select cruising level given LSALT and FZL

• drewst10@bigpond.net.au
  • Topic Author

drewst10@bigpond.net.au created the topic: Select cruising level given LSALT and FZL

Hi all,
Query 1.
it's my understanding that when selecting a cruise level for (flight planning) and say that its an easterly track, you would plan odds, 3000, 5000, 7000, 9000 etc. Lets say the LSALT is 5300 and there is TCU 2000/26000 and freezing level is 9300.

The highest cruising level you could plan for this flight is, the one that is above the LSALT and BELOW the freezing level but an ODD level.
In this case the highest level would be 9000? or is that considered too close to the freezing level?

Query 2.
For flight fuel planning the variable reserve is 1.15 x flight fuel. Is that always 1.15 x total flight fuel or 1.15 x of the LAST LEG of the flight plan?

Cheers
Drew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Select cruising level given LSALT and FZL

Hi Drew,
Yep, 9000ft would be the highest appropriate level for an Easterly track while still remaining below the freezing level.
Variable reserve is taken on the total flight fuel not just the fuel for the last leg.
Cheers,
Rich

• drewst10@bigpond.net.au
  • Topic Author

drewst10@bigpond.net.au replied the topic: Select cruising level given LSALT and FZL

Hi Richard, thankyou for that reply.
I answered a question in the Casa exam just like that but got it wrong. I'm guessing I may have pressed the wrong answer or was missing some other vital information about the route perhaps.
I have since passed the irex, thanks for all the support.
Drew

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds