Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

ADF Question

• Eddewes
  • Topic Author

Eddewes created the topic: ADF Question

Hi I'd like to ask a question that's been mind bending me lately...It comes from CIR set 6 and is question 1 from that set.
"An aircraft equipped with a fixed card is maintaining its planned track of 235degrees by accounting for 15degrees left drift. The aircraft is presently situated to the north of an NDB. For traffic purposes the ATC requires the aircraft to maintain its present track and intercept a track bearing 270degrees from that station. The relative ADF bearing that would indicate the aircraft has intercepted the station is? :blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: ADF Question

When the question says that you are maintaining a track of 235 with 15° of left drift, it is really only telling you the heading in a round-about way. The heading must be 250°. If you cross a track of 270° from the station with a heading of 250° the HAT TRICK tells you the ADF would read '+20 from'. That's 200°R.

Attachments:

• Eddewes
  • Topic Author

Eddewes replied the topic: ADF Question

Thanks a bunch Sir!...We'll probably be the last generation that has to deal with fixed card, but I'd rather it be this way then GPS as primary. It just won't be that fun haha.

• Eddewes
  • Topic Author

Eddewes replied the topic: ADF Question

And just to confirm it's cause your'e holding 250 that when you're finally abeam the station it would read plus 20 from.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: ADF Question

Yep.

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds