Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

MECIR flight test.

• leeys1324
  • Topic Author

leeys1324 created the topic: MECIR flight test.

Hi Bob Tait Forum.
It's embarrassing but I failed my MECIR&Class Rating last week just because I forgot to check one stuff during the Pre-Flight,
Currently I failed once on the ground and second time during the pre-flight check. So that's a two fail exam.

So to re-book the test do I have to do a Remedial flight(Pre-license) with an instructor?
My school says I need to do recency flight with another instructor and one more remedial flight(PRE-LICENSE) to re-book the test.
I'm curious if the school is trying to pull some money out of me or is it a requirement from the CASA.

Please Help Me Thank You. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sean1986

sean1986 replied the topic: MECIR flight test.

I couldn't imagine the requirement for re-training. I thought the regs & PART61 just stated that you would not be able to fly IFR (renewal has lapsed until you pass another flight test) - What school are you going to, I don't think you need to do a pre-license. It sounds like a money maker, I know for your initial you need to be referred by most schools (it's just a "policy") but I would imagine you already had a MECIR, you just want to re-sit the renewal you are competent by previous standards you just need to brush up on areas you weren't up to standard. If you are confident just ring the ATO and book directly.

GL

• Mister W

Mister W replied the topic: MECIR flight test.

Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to say that this isn't the forum for such debates about the ethics of business that some schools like to abuse, e.g. extra flights to milk more dollars out of the students. Bob and Richard put in countless hours of effort into this forum and are fully focused and passionate about the education of pilots so that the theory can be easy to understand, relevant and meaningful, most of all, fun.

My reasons for joining is to share my experiences from being a private pilot through to being a professional pilot, a CFI and most importantly, from my days as a student.

Sorry to hear that you missed out, leeys. :(
I can only think of one thing worse than failing a test. That's being the one who tells the candidate that they have failed and terminating the test.

Was it your first attempt? How long was it between the test flight and any remedial? Sometimes you need a brush up flight to become current if it has been a long time between drinks. This could be part of the remedial required but I can't comment because I haven't flown with you or know the details of your test. So I can't say if the school is ripping you off or not. Don't know why they want you to fly with two different instructors. :unsure:

What I am about to tell you is based on my past experience as a CFI of a school with MECIR approvals. To keep such a privlege the school must achieve a certain pass rate percentage. I think it's about 80% of first attempts from memory. Otherwise the school could lose their AOC or part thereof (CIR, CPL, FIR etc).

So to answer you question about it being a CASA requiement. In a way, Yes it is.

Also. When it comes to a CASA audit which happens around the time of AOC renewal, the auditors will look at the pass rate and review the training records to see if the remedial training was appropriate. Too much remedial could raise the question of was the candidate ready in the first place, bring the judgement of the CFI and instructors under the microscope as to why they were recommended, or, no remedial which could have the same effect.

Remedial training is just that! Recifying the areas where the required standard wasn't met. It should be in consultation with the CFI and the lesson(s) planned around only those areas. The instructor should still be teaching you during these lessons. Not sitting there silently treating it like a pre-licence followed by the yell, scream, thump the desk de-brief I have seen in the past. (All bad teaching techniques by the way for those who wish to become instructors).
As far as the term 'Pre-licence' is concerned. It has become one of those industry terms that has, IMHO, lost it's meaning.
A pre-licence really should be a dress rehearsal for the main event, the Flight Test. Not just a flight that must be done 'because it's always been done this way'.

For initial issues of the rating, it must have the approval signed by the approved person (what used to be the CFI) stating they have completed the training in accordance with the CASR and meet all the other experience requirements. This is not 'just a policy'. It is required by regulation.

My advise would be to sit down with the CFI and discuss the areas that need addressing, the training required and the best course of preparation you could do to save time (and dollars) in the aircraft.

I worked a full time job and 2 part time jobs to pay for my licences back in the day so I understand how bad it feels to have to repeat a lesson or re do a test.

I hope this helps you understand that yes, it's sad some schools are out to rip off people and some instructors hearts aren't in it for their prodigies and just there for the hours. However. All schools are required follow the directives from CASA and have benchmarks to achieve.

Reiterating what I said at the start. I'm here to help. Please don't let this turn into another Flying school/instructor bashing forum like the other internet forum thats out there.

Cheers,
Mister W.

P.S. Sorry if this sounds like a rant. I'm still very passionate about flying training.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds