Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX Part 61 Help

• DaveY
  • Topic Author

DaveY created the topic: IREX Part 61 Help

Hi guys, struggling to wrap my head around the new recency requirements for part 61. I have read the errata sheet the Bob wrote.

1) I can only fly IFR if I have done 3 approaches in the last 90 days in a aircraft or approved flight simulator. My question is that an approved flight simulator rules out a synthetic? i.e will be in flight for us G.A boys?

2) Azimuth/2D approach - say in the last 90 days I did a NDB approach, I have the recency to do a VOR approach and vice versa?

3) CDI/3D - if I have done an RNAV in the last 90 days am I covered for a LOC, VOR and ILS? Or do I require a ILS due the the vertical NAV feature?

4) If I haven't flown for 90 days and I want to get current do the old rules still apply? i.e 1 hour I.C.U.S/ dual with an approach will cover me.

Sorry to be a little confusing, my brain is mash from hitting the wall. Does anyone know if the new part 61 questions feature heavily on the IREX exam?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: IREX Part 61 Help

Hi Dave,

1) Our understanding is the 3 approaches must be in an "an approved flight simulation training device" CASR 61.870 (2) and such a "flight simulation training device" is defined in CASR 61.010 (definitions) and covers simulators and synthetic trainers. Therefore, you could do your recency in an approved synthetic trainer, the aircraft, a simulator or any mix of those.

2) Azimuth means you need to have an azimuth scale representation of the information from the aid (i.e. a circular scale like the DG). Therefore an NDB will not cover you for the VOR approach unless you fly the VOR approach using an RMI. The standard VOR display is a CDI not azimuth.

3) CDI/3D are two separate beasts. CDI covers you for any 2D approach which uses a CDI to display navigation information. A 3D approach endorsement is exclusively for approaches with vertical guidance, such as ILS etc.

4) The old rules are dead and gone. The new Part 61 recency requirements are the ones you have to follow.

You can expect these new regs in the IREX exam, absolutely.

Cheers,

Rich

• DaveY
  • Topic Author

DaveY replied the topic: IREX Part 61 Help

Thanks heaps Richard, definitely clears things up. Just to confirm with 90 days recency.

For 2D approach with CDI my understanding is if you use any CDI approach that will cover you for all the other 2D approaches which involve CDI? If I did a LOC approach in the last 90 days does that mean I am allowed to go fly a RNAV and VOR?

What are the 90 day recency requirements for a DME arrival? Sorry to be a silly bugger, can't get my head around it still!

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: IREX Part 61 Help

Yes, that is our understanding too.
Yes, as long as you are using CDI guidance it will cover you.
Interestingly, arrivals aren't mentioned explicitly, however an arrival procedure is mentioned in the definitions section as being part of the Instrument approach CASR VOL 4 - Part 1 Definitions (page 514):

Instrument approach procedure means a series of predetermined manoeuvres by reference to flight instruments with specified protection from obstacles from the initial approach fix or, where applicable, from the beginning of a defined arrival route to a point from which a landing can be completed and thereafter, if a landing is not completed, to a position at which holding or en-route obstacle clearance criteria apply.

That would therefore seem to infer, the recency requirements on a DME / GNSS arrival are covered by the general recency requirements of 2D approaches of 1 in the last 90 days.

So, to summarise: you need 3 approaches in 90 days to operate under the IFR, you need to have done at least one of the type of approach you are attempting in the last 90 days and if you are operating single pilot IFR, you need 1 hour experience including at least 1 approach within the last 6 months. On top of that are the requirements for your proficiency checks as described in CASR 61.880.

Cheers,

Rich

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds