Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Long radio instruction from tower

• Spinrecovery
  • Topic Author

Spinrecovery created the topic: Long radio instruction from tower

Hi,
I am doing an instrument rating at the moment and I have a little bit of difficulty reading back a long instruction from the ATC. I just cant seem to read back everything they tell me. Does this happen to other people when they first start doing instrument rating? I understand that writing down the instruction would be an ideal thing to do but you cant just write it every time. Does this problem normally disappear with more hours and any tips for shortening down the instruction the ATC give you?
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Long radio instruction from tower

At the moment you are experiencing a fairly common problem which is due mainly to reduced spare mental capacity. You are still using a lot of your brain power just coping with the task of flying accurately. As this becomes more automatic, you will be more able to turn your attention to read backs. Don't be too depressed mate. We have all gone through it. Remember, you don't have to read back a clearance immediately you receive it. Take your time to rehearse you read back, there's no prize for being super fast.

Bob

• Mister W

Mister W replied the topic: Long radio instruction from tower

Hi Spin,
As Bob said. You're flat out keeping up with flying the aeroplane in the beginning, but you will see that after a short while, you will free up some brain space once you start settling into the grove a bit more.
You will see that the longer radio calls have an order as to what instructions are being given; Route, Altitude, the type of Approach to expect, Radio frequency and to report certain infomation that helps ATC with their situational awareness.
I found that a lot of the time, too much was being read back. Things like; "report passing ____", "report established" etc.
Become familiar with AIP GEN 3.4, particularly paragragh 4.4 readback requirements.
Listening to Live ATC.net will also help heaps. A good exercise is to have Flightradar 24 open as well, and you can follow an aeroplane's radio calls taxi-ing, departing, enroute and approaching the whole way through.

I used to have scripts of the radio calls for the IFR flights I taught when teaching in the sim before doing the real flights. I will see if I still have them and I shall attach them to this tread.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mister W.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Long radio instruction from tower

That'd be great MisterW, I wouldn't mind having a look at those sim scripts too.

Cheers,

Rich

• Spinrecovery
  • Topic Author

Spinrecovery replied the topic: Long radio instruction from tower

thanks heap. really appreciate all the comments.

• Mister W

Ok everybody, I've found them. I just need to review them and make sure it's all current.

Stay tuned!!

Mister W.

• Mister W

Hi all,
Finally got round to tidying up an old IFR nav route script I had for training flights in the simulator.
The way I used it was by playing the role of ATC while instructing the flight on the instructor console to give the student(s) the experince of the radio calls they would hear and make during a training flight. This sim flight was then flown in the aeroplane on the next lesson.

The bold print is ATC, and the normal print is the pilot. I have made it as close to the AIP as possible with a mix of practical, plain english description of the pilot's intentions for CTAF and OCTA.
Don't be too concerned about the times I have mentioned e.g "ABC, departed BDG 25, tracking 093°, maintaining 5000’, CANTY 31". They're only there to serve the purpose of indicating that the time needs to be included in the call and I just used whatever time my watch says.

Have fun with this and don't hesitate to ask if you have problems with it.

Cheers,
Mister W.

I have disregarded taxi instructions because they pretty standard for all flights at controlled aerodromes.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds