Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Take off Minima

• uberoo
  • Topic Author

uberoo created the topic: Take off Minima

This question is in relation to Page 4.14 Question 17 in the July 13 IREX Study guide.

The correct answer in the book suggests the take off minima should be 602ft AGL cloud base and vis 3.4km.

The 602ft on the straight in approach is 1540' (MDA) - 918' (Threshold Elev) = 602'. My understanding is that the met minima (or ceiling) should be 1540' (MDA) - 928' (Airport Elev) = 592'.

What do you think?

BTW. I am using JEPPS, but also checked DAP's and it appears to be the same.

Thanks and Regards

Daryl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Take off Minima

Gidday Daryl

If the pilot intends to land on RWY 06 if he/she has to return in the event of an engine failure in IMC after take-off, it would be quite valid to use the published approach minima when considering the take-off. If you just left the aerodrome by departing on RWY 06, it would be reasonable to assume you will be able to land on RWY 06 if you have to return.

AIP ENR 1.5 para 4.6.4 [Jepp Terminal AU-27 5.4.4] says that for such a departure, the conditions must be such as would permit an instrument approach. So the conditions must not be below the published approach minima for RWY 06.

I can't find any reference that says that the meteorological minima has to be the MDA minus the aerodrome elevation. In this case, it would be MDA minus the threshold elevation - the published minima for this approach.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds