Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

LSALT for non surveyed routes

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

Aviatordan created the topic: LSALT for non surveyed routes

G'day,

Just a quick one regarding the use of the AIP methods for determining the lowest safe tolerance area. What do you do if the route doesn't follow a straight line?

In that case do you simply establish the lowest sale tolerance area between waypoint nav aids? I.e. if the A/D you depart from has an NDB and your first waypoint is a VOR, do you simply do it to the VOR and thence onwards from that? What if you're flying in the middle of nowhere and there are no aids at all on a less than straight route?

Regards,

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nick

Nick replied the topic: LSALT for non surveyed routes

I actually just flicked through the IREX book and didn't realise there wasn't an example of it...

So here's an e.g. from my ground theory course...
Attachments:

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

Aviatordan replied the topic: LSALT for non surveyed routes

G'day Nick,

Thanks a lot for that! I'll tell you what... Wherever possible I will be sticking to routes listed on ERCs and TACs!

Cheers,

Dan

• Nick

Haha, yeah, seems to be simpler that way.

I've never questioned it, but regarding my picture (if Bob/Richard can chime in on it):

IF the first leg down the bottom of the pic (Aid to No aid) was not long enough in distance, then the semicircle at the no aid end would have a radius less than 50nm (+5nm etc etc).

At the turning point, do you then use the radius for the arrival (ie. less than 50nm) or do you just assume a 50nm radius + 5nm buffer?

• Mister W

Mister W replied the topic: LSALT for non surveyed routes

Don't know if you can get these anymore. I've had them for about 20 years. Used them heaps of times for planning between non-published routes.
Attachments:

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

Hey Mister,

They look very handy indeed! Do you happen to remember where you got them?

Cheers,

Dan

• Mister W

Mister W replied the topic: LSALT for non surveyed routes

Hi there,
Yes, I do! Skylines Pilot Shop at Moorabbin. i asked Ronnie about 5-6 years ago if they still had them so my students could get them. He said they haven't been made for some time now.
The company that made them is called Stable Air. They make other nav plotters and rulers so they might be worth asking.

Hope this helps,

Mister W.

• Aviatordan
  • Topic Author

G'day,

Thanks a lot for that! I haven't found anything on Stable Air in Google however I have emailed the guys at Moorabbin in the hopes of finding more information! If I find anything, or where to get them, I shall post it!

Cheers,

Dan

• Nick

If you do get any information Dan, let me know B)

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds