Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX PASS

• Nick
  • Topic Author

Nick created the topic: IREX PASS

Hey Bob/Richard!

Whilst sitting through my ground theory courses, I have been using your books from BAK thru to my current IREX as a way to back up and confirm all the "knowledge" passed onto me.

I'm proud to say that with my head down for significant study periods over the last three weeks, I kicked IREX's butt with a 93%. I have to be totally honest and say that a significant amount of the questions (at least half) I have never seen the wording of in practice exams before. CASA upto their tricks as usual!

Thank you so much for having a text that is simple enough to explain things that are seemingly impossible to understand at times. Your books certainly have helped me throughout my journey, and whilst the mysterious 100 still eludes me, I'll settle with a 100% first time pass rate! I would and regularly do recommend them to ANYBODY wishing to learn about flying.

Only because I know a lot of students struggle with the questions, is it possible that on the next update of your book, you include a little more information on airframe icing in clouds? Fortunately I had my CPL Met book to help out for the study side of things, but I still got the question wrong - even though I sat and stared at it for a good 5-6mins at the end of my exam.

Next stop, MECIR flying... and then ATPL! If only there were BT texts available for those subjects ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: IREX PASS

Way to go Nick! Great work and a great score too. Interesting there were icing related questions on the IREX exam which weren't covered by the book. As for the ATPL texts, the textbooks for MET and HPL cover pretty much everything. In fact, we've had reports from students who have completed CPL HPL and without further study gone on to sit ATPL HPL without a problem. The main difference between ATPL MET and CPL MET is the upper level weather, grid forecasts and the like. You should find it pretty interesting.

Good luck with the MECIR. It's a whole new world!

Cheers,

Rich

• Nick
  • Topic Author

Nick replied the topic: IREX PASS

Hey Rich,

Thanks for the response!

My icing question had very specific information in the stem (As, 7000', -2*C, light to mod turb) and the answers were none, clear, rime or clear and rime.

If I remember correctly I put Rime because I immediately associate Alto with Rime. I'm still actually unsure as to what answer they were after.

Would you believe it that I'm in my ME type conversion right now, after 11hrs of IFR navs, and the weather is now crap in ADL. Great! Hah.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: IREX PASS

Congratulations Nick. What a great effort, you sure have a right to be proud of it. I did consider including some general met info in the IREX book but I soon realised that I'd just be rewriting the CPL/PPL met books and the whole book would become unnecessarily large. I do have a note in the front pages of the IREX book warning students that they should revise the general met material. As to your question on icing, I would agree with your answer that rime ice is more likely unless the turbulence was sufficient to support large supercooled droplets. As always with those questions, it all depends on the exact wording of the question stem.

All the best with your future training - i'm sure you will do well. it's a pleasure to know we have been some help to people such as you.

Bob

• Nick
  • Topic Author

Thanks Bob!

I have a feeling that the mentioning of turbulence in the stem influenced it somehow, but it's in the past now!

One of my KDRs was "Weather forecast requirements - 2.2" which the syllabus reads as:
2.2 Use any meteorological document specified in AIP MET to determine the feasibility of an I.F.R. flight in accordance with the requirements of AIP RAC/OPS-1 OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS. All requirements are to be considered either singly or in combination at candidate’s initiative.

Is just referring to Alternates/Operational Requirements (ACVWPLS?), or could it be that I screwed up reading an ARFOR/TAF in deciding whether or not I should perform the flight?

I'm not sure if I should admit it, but I've never heard of "RAC/OPS-1" before, so I don't have a clue where to start other than just being on top of the above possibilities.

• Nick
  • Topic Author

Actually not entirely necessary to answer that one. It actually stands out as one of the questions I remember from the exam that I knew was a twisted one.

I'm pretty sure it's referring to the forecast requirements for an IFR flight:

ie. All IFR flights must obtain met forecasts appropriate to the proposed flight
Must include a flight or ARFOR and a TAF/TTF for the dest/alt AD's
AND
If necessary it can depart without the forecast provided that:
The PIC is satisfied he/she can safely return to the departure AD within one hr of departure, and,
A TAF/TTF for the destination and alternate (if req) is obtained within 30mins of departure.

Thanks again Bob/Rich!

• Aviatordan

Aviatordan replied the topic: IREX PASS

Congrats on the pass, Nick! Especially 93%, that's amazing!

Just wondering if you would be able to provide a bit of an exam breakdown? Not a question dump, however more of an insight in to what to expect, i.e. what types of questions had the highest marks, how many questions were there on each syllabus item (like icing for example) etc...

Cheers mate,

Dan

• Nick
  • Topic Author

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the words!

I honestly barely remember any of the questions that were asked... the only ones that jog my memory are of course the 3 I got wrong because I had to work out what I screwed up.

As I suggested in my previous posts, for a significant amount of the exam that I sat, I'd not seen similar question stems before. So it should come as no surprise that I was fairly shocked when it came to processing them. On my first pass of answering everything that was "simple" (didn't require maps or referencing, or confirmation of something I wasn't 100% sure on) I managed only about 10 of the 40 questions...

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

For Bob/Rich, just to let you know I actually passed my MECIR about 1month ago now, so the theory obviously managed to stick in there through all the intense weather and procedures, but I REALLY thoroughly enjoyed IFR.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds