Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Practice Question Exercise 3.2 Q.27

• Hari
  • Topic Author

Hari created the topic: Practice Question Exercise 3.2 Q.27

Hi All,

This is probably a really silly question, but nevertheless.

Ex. 3.2 Q 27

A PVT IFR flight in CAT A is estimating its arrival at Sydney at 2230UTC on a Wednesday. A/C has one ADF, DME, and VHF NAV with glideslope. Max XWC is 15kt, and YSSY TAF is as follows:

TAF YSSY 231580 UTC 2318/2418 15012KT 9999 SCT025 SCT040
INTER 2318/2408 4000 SHRA SCT010
T 16 18 19 19 Q 1020 1021 1020 1018

The minimum alternate or holding fuel required for this flight is:

I realise that I will need 30min of holding fuel because the arrival is within the INTER period.
I chose 50 min of holding fuel as my answer, because the question stated the A/C has one VHF NAV, with GP.

'ANTICIPATED AIRBORNE TRAFFIC DELAYS FOR ARR A/C DUE TO TERMINAL AREA TRAFFIC DENSITY & OR SINGLE RWAY OPS - 20 MIN.
EXCEPTIONS
MON TO FRI BTN 2100 & 0100 FOR FLIGHT TYPE N OR G ACFT THAT ARE NOT CAPABLE OF ILS PRECISION RWY MONITORING APPROACH - 30MIN'
How do you determine your flight type?

I hope you understand my query.

Cheers again.

Hari.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Practice Question Exercise 3.2 Q.27

Precision Runway Monitoring [PRM] approaches are a special type of ILS approach that requires certain equipment and pilot qualifications and recency. It is mainly used in association with parallel ILS approaches. You can read all about it in AIP ENR page 52 para 24. It would be safe to assume that the aircraft described in this question would not be capable of PRM approaches.

• Hari
  • Topic Author

Hari replied the topic: Practice Question Exercise 3.2 Q.27

Thanks Bob,

I had made the right assumption, I suppose.

The answer in your explanation stated 30min of holding time due to traffic delays, hence the confusion.

Regards

Hari.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds