Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Query regarding GPS recency.

• Hari
  • Topic Author

Hari created the topic: Query regarding GPS recency.

Hi Bob,

I have been going through your book, and its very helpful. I am currently in the process of converting my licence.

I have a question regarding the GPS recency requirements.

With reference to the 'CIR Revision Questions - Set 9' - Question 5:

Flying IFR from Winton to Longreach in OZY. You haven't met the recency requirements for an RNAV approach. Actual QNH at Longreach is not available, the lowest level to which you may descend in IMC before crossing the Longreach VOR is?

Your answer is 1710 ft.

I chose 2300 feet based on the fact that LSALT is 2700' and 25nm MSA is 2300',

I made an assumption that if you aren't current on RNAV approaches, you couldn't do them.

I am not able to understand where I've gone wrong.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Hari

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: Query regarding GPS recency.

Remember there is a big difference between a GNSS arrival and an RNAV GNSS approach. If you are not current on an RNAV GNSS approach, it doesn't mean that you cannot do a GNSS arrival procedure. In the GNSS arrival, you are using your GPS for distance only, so it is not classified as an RNAV GNSS approach. You could fly the GNSS arrival procedure for sector B which has an MDA of 1710 feet with no actual QNH available.

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Karambir

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Query regarding GPS recency.

Hi Hari,

A RNAV(GNSS) approach is a different procedure to a GNSS arrival and since the question states you are not current on RNAV (GNSS) approaches, the assumption is you are still current on the GNSS arrival, the VOR and NDB approaches. The questions asks for the lowest altitude you can descend to before crossing the Longreach VOR so you need to look at the DAPs for the VOR approach and the GNSS arrival.

The VOR reversal procedures has you commencing the procedure at the VOR at 2300 feet whereas the GNSS arrival lets you come straight in and cross the VOR at the circling minima of 1710 ft (before going missed at the aid if not visual).

Therefore the lowest altitude you can first cross the Longreach VOR in IMC is 1710ft.

Cheers,

Rich

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Query regarding GPS recency.

oops - cross posted - sorry Bob :)

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds