Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX exam Question help

• nivanpilot
  • Topic Author

nivanpilot created the topic: IREX exam Question help

G'day Bob and Co.

I'm new to the aussie books and regs, as ive jumped the Tasman to convert all of my licences, I am sitting the IREX next week, and have purchased the IREX july 2013 edition for self study, this book is excellent, and giving me a good explanation on where to find everything. I have a question regarding the General Questions segment of the book on page 7.2. Question 17 about the rated coverage of the Coffs Harbour NDB. I've looked up in the ERSA, and the only information i can find on the ndb is range 75 (HN60) OW 210 (OW 110).

The answer is B ) 70NM,

Now I know i must be missing something here, as i'm new to the system, and it is probably a very easy explanation on how to find it. It's very frustrating as I don't know where to find a reference on how to get to 70NM.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eddie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 258

bobtait replied the topic: IREX exam Question help

Gidday Eddie

Welcome to OZ! The current version of ERSA gives the rated coverage of the Coff's NDB as 70 nm by day over land. If you are getting 75 nm it seems like you may be using an out-of-date ERSA. Check your ERSA for date. The current ERSA page for YCFS on the Air Services web page is
www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/aip.asp...te=14-Nov-2013&ver=1

Good luck with the exam....

Bob

• nivanpilot
  • Topic Author

nivanpilot replied the topic: IREX exam Question help

Thanks for your prompt help Bob,

I've checked the updated ERSA, and you are correct!!!!

Many thanks,

Eddie.

• brook

brook replied the topic: IREX exam Question help

Hi Bob and Richard - another exam question in the Mock exams I got wrong. I will upload now a pic from the CAO 40.2.1 now that seems to give a different answer specifically for recently on Single pilot IFR as PIC.

See the question I got wrong below, then compare it to the attached CAO as it mentions specifically Single Pilot IFR:

Select the minimum instrument time in aeroplanes within the last 90 days required by a pilot with a Command Instrument Rating to act as pilot in command on a single pilot IFR flight in an aeroplane -
Choose one answer.
1 hour PIC instrument flight time in an aircraft certified for single-pilot including one instrument approach Incorrect
1 hour ICUS instrument flight time in an aircraft certified for single-pilot operations, including one instrument approach Correct
1 hour ICUS instrument time on any IFR aircraft including one instrument approach Incorrect
1 hour PIC instrument time on an approved synthetic trainer including one instrument approach Incorrect
If your recency is as pilot in command you must have three hours, with at least one of those three hours in flight.

However if you have logged one hour dual or in command under supervision, that would cover you as long as the one hour was done in flight.

Also for single pilot operations, the recency must be done in a single pilot aeroplane and include one instrument approach.

CAO 40.2.1.11.2
Incorrect
Marks for this submission: 0/1.
Attachments:

bobtait replied the topic: IREX exam Question help

Gidday Brook

This is a very common area of confusion with the requirements for recency. CAO 40.3.1.11.2 gives the minimum recency required for ALL IFR pilots. However, if you met these recency requirements in multi-crew aircraft, you could not fly a SINGLE PILOT aircraft unless you ALSO met the requirements of CAO 40.2.1.11.5.

Example.
A Virgin pilot has flown lots of hours and approaches in the last 90 days in a 737, but has not flown a single pilot aircraft for 90 days. He/she would not be able to fly single pilot IFR unless he/she met the CAO 40.2.1.11.5 requirement. However, if you had met the requirements of CAO 40.2.1.11.2 in a SINGLE PILOT aircraft, you could ignore CAO 40.2.1.11.5.

CAO 40.2.1.11.5
is an ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT that must be met by pilots who have not been flying single pilot aircraft. ALL IFR pilots must meet the requirements of CAO 40.2.1.11.2 before flying IFR,

Bob

• brook

brook replied the topic: IREX exam Question help

Thanks Bob - appreciate that. I thought I was going mad for a minute! ;-) (or was that Night VFR requirements for charter, private with Pax, or Private Solo :-)

They could help themselves a lot putting all the rules in one place, clearly explained so pilots remembered them! I felt so sorry for you as I read your Irex book. There is more value in that $90 book than in the $2500 course I just sat to get through it in a hurry!

• brook

brook replied the topic: IREX exam - missed by one mark!

Just missed the exam mark by 1 question. Not the worst thing in the world, but annoying.

Some issues I have encountered. VOR 30 at Weipa for min ceiling using Jepps - the answer was NOT in the question. I will check the DAPS and see if they read the same.

Some silly ones related to the most turbulent part of a storm, different GPS approaches as they related to track vs distance.

Also one silly one I got wrong was on scalloping, as in saying fly higher to "resolve the issue" (since the book suggests its is caused by terrain (this was Nth Qld) when I should have said "continue flying at the same alt" except that this would not have immediately fixed the problem as per the question, but if I had kept flying the scallops of the VOR should have been limited to 2 deg so if that is acceptable then fine OK, but it does not "fix the problem" caused by terrain" and the question asks about "fixing the problem, not ignoring it".

One question relating to Step Climb had two aircraft on Descent (not climb) and asked if the lower aircraft should report.

Also finally CASA mention VH-OZY in SOME questions, but not all. The card supplied in the exam does not say it is used for all questions. Am I to assume that ALL questions that do NOT explicitly state VH-OZY mean to use VH-OZY?

The issue I have with that is if VH-OZY is NOT mentioned, and a max speed it asked for, it could relate to an aircraft in another faster category that might be allowed at that airport (eg Cat D ACFT).

Any thoughts would be appreciated, off to check the DAPS against the Jepps.

Brook

bobtait replied the topic: IREX exam - missed by one mark!

What a bummer!

1. There is nothing you can do about VOR scalloping. Change of height wont help. Just maintain heading and wait until it settles down.
2. In a step climb, the lower aircraft will be given a 'report approaching' height and the higher aircraft should report 'left' the level 1000 feet above that height.
3. If a question does not stipulate that you are flying OZY, then you don't assume you are. If that is the case, the examiner will have to give you all required information concerning nav aids etc in the question stem.

I'm sure you crack it next time. We're all rooting for you!

Bob

• brook

brook replied the topic: IREX exam - missed by one mark!

Thanks Bob,

And for the input on the other items! Appreciate your support too.

On the couple of dumb ones I got wrong like most turbulent area in a thunderstorm (cant believe I picked near the Anvil, I second guessed my own answer of in the middle just above freezing level after reading the Met book which had that listed as turbulent.

Another one I got wrong related to an approach from MSA (still in cloud) wanting to decent to the airport below in the most time efficient manner, do you do a sector 1, 2 or 3 entry OR fly a heading within 30 degrees of the reversal pattern.

One of the other problems I found was when they didn't specify the class of ACFT (and OZY was not mentioned) and also then failed to mention if the flight was PVT, AWK, CHTR, or RPT.

For some reason I got the wrong answer on the single altimeter wrong, and yet I had the Jepps and tolerances right in front of me. You know when you are sure what you did get wrong but non the wiser on the other stuff.

Think the big issue is what you have already raised about the difference in accuracy and CASA obligations towards Jepps vs Air Services.

I'll post any more curly ones I had trouble with.

Off to the Gold Coast now, and should resit on Friday 6th Dec at Archerfield, going to try my hand at prepping and getting the CPL flight test done in a 172RG. Lets see how we go...(with all these exams one could forget how to fly ;-)

Brook

• nivanpilot
  • Topic Author

nivanpilot replied the topic: IREX exam Question help

Sat the exam today Bob, Passed with
90%. 5 days study with your text book got me through. An excellent recommended product that has proven itself. Well done, and thanks for the help.
Eddie

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds