Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

approved GPSs?

• BB
  • Topic Author

BB created the topic: approved GPSs?

AIP GEN 1.5 Sec 8.5.5.3 states you can use TSO-C129, C129a as well besides the 145 & 146 & 196. In the self study guide only 145, 146 are mentioned (page 5.67).

Which ones are right... I guess in case of doubt the AIP?

Thanks guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: approved GPSs?

I have contacted CASA on this one and they agree that it is an error in the AIP. GEN 1.5 para 8.5.5.3 does say that you can use a 129 to satisfy the alternate requirement for navigation aids - that is not correct. In the table over the page on page 18, Item 3 in the centre panel it clearly states that:

"unless using a TSO C145a or C146a or C196a provision for an alternate aerodrome may not be based on RNAV GNSS approach capability."

I have been assured that this is the official position of CASA.

Bob

• BB
  • Topic Author

BB replied the topic: approved GPSs?

Thanks - that's what I thought. But if we don't look at alternates can I use a C129 for distance info with e.g. a LOC? Or does it always have to be a 145/146 for IFR nag?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: approved GPSs?

You can use a 129 for distance. For example during any DME/GPS arrival that's OK and also for distance information during any other approach providing the approach chart has a note saying RNAVGNSS may be used in lieu of DME. The only thing you have to keep in mind is that a 129 can never be your only way of making an approach. There must always be another ground-based approach available. In a DME/GPS arrival you are using the GPS for distance only and you are actually tracking on an NDB or VOR - so that's OK.

Bob

• BB
  • Topic Author

BB replied the topic: approved GPSs?

Awesome - thanks Bob!

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds