Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX Questions

• flying_tiger
  • Topic Author

flying_tiger created the topic: IREX Questions

Hi all,

Coming close to the exam, and have got through the book a couple of times, and done 3 of the 4 Cyber exams.....a couple of questions if I may

1. In the 'General Questions' section of the book, Question 34 where it asks 'The Prime responsibility for separation for IFR flights from VFR flights in a Class D CTR rests with; A. ATC or B. The PIC........the answer is A, however I cannot find a reference in the AIP for this. I understand why, but if I check the table ENR Page 8 it just mentions 'traffic info' and Nil separation?

2. Regarding the holder of a CIR-SE, can this be used to fly as co-pilot on a aeroplane? As the CAO 40.2.1.13.2 (b) seems to read like this would be the correct assumption?

3. I cannot find a reference to Night VFR Alternate Radio Nav Aids required? Is this just the same as the Night VFR requirement?

4. If your flight is PVT IFR, then for the fuel requirement does this mean the Variable reserve of 15

5. For working out T/O Min for Engine failure option, is a GPS approach is not a planned option because it is not TSO 145a or 146a, is this right? Just trying to get my head around a few last things

6. Have been through CAO 40.2.1 App III, and I see there is a mention of GPWT wind velocity data and Jetstream identification, is this likely to come up, and what is GPWT?

Apologies for the questions and cheers in advance for any thoughts or advice

Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• portleo@gmail.com

portleo@gmail.com replied the topic: IREX Questions

I suspect GPWT in that context is Grid Point Wind & Temperature

• flying_tiger
  • Topic Author

flying_tiger replied the topic: IREX Questions

Hey guys,

Anyone else got any input, especially regarding the Class D airspace, seperation, who is responsible etc?

Also with one of the cyber exams, I got a question regarding Brisbane, IREX_127 with the following TAF:

TAF YBBN 042218Z 0400/0524 15008KT 9999 RA BKN 009
FEW020 SCT045
INTER 0500/0504 3000 +SH BKN007
FM050300 22020KT 9999 SCT020 SCT040

Does the 'BKN at 007' be still above ALTN Min, as I cannot find any ref to hold for 30 mins due to delay in either of my ERSA's

Cheers

Ben

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: IREX Questions

1, AIP ENR 1.4 para 4 (table on page 10) Class D airspace. IFR is separated from IFR and is given traffic information on VFR. Separation from VFR is not provided and it is the pilots responsibility to maintain separation. Obviously, if you were given traffic information on a VFR flight in a Class D control zone, the meteorological conditions at the time would have to be VMC or the VFR flight would not be there.

2. Yes. According to the CAO 40.2.1.13.2(b), a pilot with a single engine instrument rating may act as co-pilot in a multi engine aircraft. However to act as co-pilot he/she would still need a co-pilot endorsement on the type (See CAO 40.1.0 para 3.2)..

3. AIP ENR 1.1 para 58.3.3. A NGT VFR flight must have a ground-based aid at the destination or carry an alternate within 60 minutes flying that does have an aid.

4. Reg 234 says that you must have 'enough' fuel. It doesn't say what 'enough' is though so there is no specific requirement in the regulations regarding fuel reserves. However CAAP 234 says the all private flights should carry 45 minutes fixed reserve with no distinction between IFR or VFR. The variable reserve is recommended only for charter. As far as the exam is concerned, a question that asks for minimum fuel for a private flight would not be expected to carry the variable reserve.

5. AIP GEN 1.5 page 18 (table - centre panel). If you have only a 129 GPS you must always have another ground-based aid available as well - or carry an alternate. That does not mean that you cannot do an RNAV GNSS approach with a 129, it simply means that you must have a ground-based aid at the same aerodrome, you must have the recency to be able to use that aid and the weather conditions must be above the minima for that ground-based aid.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: IREX Questions

Ben,
That question has recently been amended. It used to be 30 minutes traffic holding, now it is 20 minutes Monday to Friday from 0100 to 0700. You will find that note in ERSA for Brisbane on the first page ("REMARKS" - under the aerodrome diagram).

The question has been reworded to reflect the amended traffic holding.

Thanks for your feed-back.

Bob
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds