Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Fuel for holding as per ERSA remarks

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter created the topic: Fuel for holding as per ERSA remarks

Top of the morning gents!!

Having been bowled out on a previous holding fuel question in my online prep exam (Sydney's 20 min requirement), I have added "REMARKS" to my proverbial "A,C,V,W,P,L,S"

I've noticed that Brisbane carries a similar requirement, namely "MON to SAT 2100-0100 35 MIN. MON to FRI 0100 to 0700". There is another question in the prep exam that relates to Brisbane, with an aircraft arriving at 0100:

You are to conduct an IFR charter flight into Brisbane in VH-OZY with an ETA of 0100Z. The TAF which will be valid for your arrival is:

TAF YBBN 042218Z 0400/0524 15008KT 9999 RA BKN 009
FEW020 SCT045
INTER 0500/0504 3000 +SH BKN007
FM050300 22020KT 9999 SCT020 SCT040
T 14 19 20 19 Q 1014 1014 1015 1016

The operational requirement/s which will apply to your arrival are -
Choose one answer.

a) fuel to hold for 30 minutes or to proceed to an alternate must be carried - Incorrect
b) fuel to proceed to an alternate must be carried - Incorrect
c) fuel to hold for 30 minutes must be carried - Incorrect
d) nil - Correct
OZY has two ILSs so it qualifies for the special alternate minima. The special alternate minima for Brisbane is:
700ft and 2.5km. Even though you are arriving during the INTER period, the OPR will not apply to you because the conditions described are not below the special alternate minimum.

AIP ENR 1.5 para 6.2.1

In this case I appreciate that the correct answer is (d) NIL, as it isn't specified WHICH day you are arriving (at least that's what I think the reason is for not applying the requirement into the calculations?). What I do wonder about however is if the requirement had to be applied, which would you use? the 35 min or 20 min, as both are on 01h00z? I know in reality this is much of a muchness type of question, but in exam it could be a mark. Or would the examiners not be as cruel as to pitch something like this at us?

Thanks all.

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Fuel for holding as per ERSA remarks

Thanks for that Andy. The traffic holding for Brisbane is now required. I have changed the question to read that you are arriving at 0130 on a Monday and I have changed the answer to 20 minutes holding for anticipated airborne traffic delays.

Your feed-back is appreciated.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds