Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Passed IREX today, exam run down

• rl_referre
  • Topic Author

rl_referre created the topic: Passed IREX today, exam run down

Hi everyone, I sat my final exam today prior to getting on to the ATPL's. IREX was a tough exam however with plenty of study it is possible to get a high mark. I scored 95% on my first attempt just with Bob's book.
Things to look out for; The exam had a lot of questions on alternate minimas so make sure you know ACVWPLS. If you know that you can't go wrong on any of those questions brought your way. Don't just look at the TAF given to you but go through and check the type of lighting, aids available to use and direction of runway so you can work out X wind.
Plenty of questions on Melbourne/Sydney and Bankstown/Perth SIDs and STARS.

There was also a few questions relating to Mudgee and knowing what sector entry to go for. It gave you a track and wind and you had to work it out.

A few questions regarding LSALT, rated coverage of NDB's (Be careful), reporting points, departure reports, TE questions relating to NDBs and VORs and make sure your aware of calculating the distance of track if it gives you a distance that you have covered. There was recency questions relating to single pilot IFR and what the minimum requirements were.

They did try and trick you by giving you too many variables in the questions, so take your time when reading TAFs and see what actually applies to your arrival time.

Thanks Bob for your great text's! They got me through all CPL subjects first time and again was not let down for IREX. Always a pleasure to read!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy Venter

Andy Venter replied the topic: Passed IREX today, exam run down

G'day rl_,

How did you find the 3.5 hr time limit? Obviously the better ones the work, the better it gets, but having grasped the work well, di you still find the time limit "tight"?

One more question if you will, I've finished going through the Bob Tait book and busy with the on-line exams. I find most of it ok, even if challenging. An area of concern is the MET related questions, as I am running out of time and trying to work thru both the IREX and a MET book is proving daunting! I believe that icing is the big one to look out for? If you have any good source of "abbreviated" MET stuff (for the IREX) I would appreciate it.

Tx,

Andy

• rl_referre
  • Topic Author

rl_referre replied the topic: Passed IREX today, exam run down

G'day Andy

Timing was something I was concerned about going into the exam, however I was very surprised at how quick I finished and yet still had a chance to go through questions in which I had a couple of issues with. I finished the exam with about 1h15mins to go. There are 40 multiple choice questions all worth 1 mark. 1/2 the questions are fairly quick to answer and if you know your way around the Jepps/AIP I shouldn't take you too long too work those ones out. When I pushed submit I was happy with my responses and still had 45min to spare. If I spent more time checking and re-checking I probably would have just confused my self. As a thing that I do, I write down a list from 1-40 and tick the questions off as I go. The ones I have an issue with I put an asterisk there and come back to it, so as not to waste time. If you know the subject you should find that there is more than enough time!

Meteorology is also a weak point for me. I got a couple of cloud/TS questions in the exam. One asking where the most amount of turbulence is found in a thunder storm and also where you should find the least amount of hail. I also got an icing question in AC cloud. Know the clouds well and the icing/turbulence associated with each type. I have attached some info from BOM which might help.

Any other issues fee free to reply!
Good luck!
Attachments:

• Andy Venter

Andy Venter replied the topic: Passed IREX today, exam run down

Tx mate, I'll definitely be able to use that advice and the BoM material!!. Good idea marking the questions as you go along.

Congrats with the IREX and good luck with the ATP's mate!!

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds