Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX Advice

• flying_tiger
  • Topic Author

flying_tiger created the topic: IREX Advice

Hi All,

Studying for IREX at the moment, last exam and writing first week of August, so really want to get it done! Using the Bob Tait 2011 IREX book

Few questions that maybe someone could advise on

1. My documents, AIP, DAP'sm Charts etc were all brought mid last year, have not been updates since then, am working and studying out of Australia with no east option to get any updates to where I am now. Will the books that I have been current enough to use for the exam?

2. For questions regarding Alternates, with lighting, how do you work out the Sunrise/Sunset BOD time? Have had a quick look in ERSA and cannot see SR/SS times?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers for now

FT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flying_tiger
  • Topic Author

flying_tiger replied the topic: IREX Advice

Hi there, anybody? Any help really really would be appreciated with what may appear simple questions...

Cheers

Ben

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: IREX Advice

Your documents should be reasonably up to date. There are no major changes I know of since mid last year. The main problem could be with the DAP. Although actual procedures haven't changed, it is possible that some details on particular approach charts, SIDs or STARs could have been amended. If you could arrange to borrow a current set of DAPs it would be a good move.

As far as EOD and BOD is concerned, the examiner is not cruel enough to produce a question requiring you to calculate BOD/EOD to decide whether or not you need to arrange lighting. Any such question I have ever heard of gives an arrival time that makes it obvious that it is daylight or night.

Good luck

• Andy Venter

Andy Venter replied the topic: IREX Advice

Hi "flying _tiger" :)

I also have the 2011 Bob Tait book, and until (Departure and Tracking Requirements) have found very few differences. Some I might highlight to you that may sace you some time: (Page 4.2's reference to AIP Enr 1.1 para 42.4 has now changed to 43.3.1) - (page 4.10's reference to ENR 1.1 para 18.6.2 is now 19.6.2) - (page 5.12's reference to ENR 1.5 para1.7.3 is now 1.7.1) - (page 5.20's and 5.22's speed for circuit height {120 kts} has now changed to 150 kts) -

There are a few other, but can't remember them off hand. Just note that these aren't "mistakes" as such, the references have changed in the AIP's....me and you have just got older books mate :(

I bought the cyber-texts books for some of my other subjects, and can't tell you how much I recommend them mate.

BOB, just while we are on that note; on page 5.22 regarding the visual approach in CTA: ENR 1.1 para 12.8.1 makes no mention of the "By Day" that 500 ft above the lower level limit of the CTA has to be maintained. Has that requirement been scrapped, or is it still enforce (possibly in some other para - I can't find it anywhere else, but want to make sure before I "scrap" the requirement)

Tx,

Andy

• flying_tiger
  • Topic Author

flying_tiger replied the topic: IREX Advice

Thanks for that, Air Services Australia have sent me the updates I need, and when I get to Aus, I will update the DAP's before the exam.

Just another quick question or two, I have gone through the book, and re-going over it while doing questions....

DAP 1-3 which compares old to new charts, I have page DAP 1-3, however it doesn't show any chart differences? It is just text....does not mention the Circling 300 vs 400 ft OCA etc

Also, in terms of MET knowledge (apart from OPR) how much, and what should I go over which is relevant to IREX?

Cheers and kind regards

Ben

• rl_referre

rl_referre replied the topic: IREX Advice

Ben, I did IREX today and only had a couple of questions regarding Met. Read up on thunderstorms and the different types of icing and turbulence you can get in each particular cloud.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds