Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

ENR 1.5 (5.5.3) ADD? 50 feet for forecast

• Andy Venter
  • Topic Author

Andy Venter created the topic: ENR 1.5 (5.5.3) ADD? 50 feet for forecast

Hi,

I am working my way through the IREX book, and notice that none of the "Ceiling minima" questions incorporate the 50' increase referred to in ENR 1.5 (5.5.3)? "Where the forecast QNH is used, The minima must be increased by 50 feet"

Is my book perhaps just a print to early? July 2011 edition but bought in 2012.

I get it that a 100' can be knocked off the minima ceiling if we DO get a actual QNH, that makes good sense. But why would there be a ANOTHER of 50 feet ADDED onto the minima displayed on the plate, if it already has 100' "safety margin" built into it, specifically to counter forecast QNH that is presumably going to be inaccurate?

Is it (as Bob so eloquently puts it) a case of "some faceless scribe in Canberra is making yet another change to the labyrinth of CASA documents" :laugh:

But the big question is, should this concern me for the exam?

Much obliged,

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: ENR 1.5 (5.5.3) ADD? 50 feet for forecast

If you have another look at that reference you will see that it is talking about using the area forecast QNH instead of the TAF forecast QNH. You don't have to add 50 feet unless you are not in receipt of a TAF and use the QNH from the area forecast instead.

Bob

• flying_tiger

flying_tiger replied the topic: ENR 1.5 (5.5.3) ADD? 50 feet for forecast

Hi, just to follow on this, in the exam, if you don't have a TAF, are you automatically supposed to add on Area Forecast 50ft or will they advise you to use area forecast in the question?

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds