Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Variable Reserve on Holding & Alternative Fuel

• Chris 000
  • Topic Author

Chris 000 created the topic: Variable Reserve on Holding & Alternative Fuel

Bob,

Hopefully a quick question/clarification.

If I am correct in my memory from CPL & now studying for my IREX, Variable reserve (15%) only applies to fuel to the destination, and any alternative if required. But does not apply to any holding fuel, be it for traffic, or weather requirments at either your destination, or alternative. Is that correct?

Thanks Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ray

Ray replied the topic: Variable Reserve on Holding & Alternative Fuel

Correct. Holding fuel is not flight fuel, but alternate fuel is.

• Chris 000
  • Topic Author

Chris 000 replied the topic: Variable Reserve on Holding & Alternative Fuel

Thanks for the answer Ray. I saw it when it came in but have been busy, and have only gotten back on here to go through some more stuff to see if I am understanding things the right way. :)

• Thank you received: 3

HPOUND replied the topic: Variable Reserve on Holding & Alternative Fuel

Is this still the case?

My understanding was the the variable reserve is calculated based on the trip fuel but not any fuel required for an alternate (alternate fuel) or holding (holding fuel).

This is all set out in CASA 29/18. www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018L00644

See also: www.casa.gov.au/sites/default/files/caap...or-aircraft-fuel.pdf

Thanks

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Variable Reserve on Holding & Alternative Fuel

There have been changes to the fuel reserves. What used to be called 'flight fuel' is now called 'trip fuel' and it no longer applies to the flight to an alternate. The variable reserve is now 10% not 15% and it is applied to the flight from departure to destination only, but not to the alternate or holding fuel. See caap-234-1(2)
Attachments:

• DAH

DAH replied the topic: Variable Reserve on Holding & Alternative Fuel

Hi Bob,

Related question (fuel planning example 2 page 183 latest digital IREX book).

The t/o fuel calculation is given as [31 x 1.1] + 18 + 45 + 30 = 127 min which is all understood except the 31 x 1.1 gives less than the min variable reserve of 5 min? So potentially the answer is 129 min?

In the example on the previous page (181) that I can see has been updated in the digital edition the trip time is 85 min but 251/180x60 = 83.666 ~84 min. Is that an error or am I missing something else? Are times normally rounded up too?

Sitting the exam on Friday. Thanks in advance, David

Thanks for that DAH, in our frantic attempts to keep up with the changes, we missed that one. Thanks for the feed-back.

• TCSMOORE

TCSMOORE replied the topic: Variable Reserve on Holding & Alternative Fuel

Ray
Page 126 of CPL Performance on Qu No 12 the answer applies a 10% variable reserve to the TEMPO 1 hour holding fuel?
Wrong?
Tim

Part 91 MOS Chapter 19 says that contingency fuel (once called variable reserve) does not apply to a private flight. Part 135 Chapter 7 says that for an air transport flight (once called a charter flight), contingency fuel is required but only as 10% of the trip fuel. Trip fuel is defined as the fuel used from departure to DESTINATION. So it doesn't apply to the fight to the alternate.

Min fuel = trip fuel x 1.1 plus final reserve fuel (once called fixed reserve) Plus taxi, plus alternate fuel (no contingency fuel on alternate fuel) plus holding.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds