Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Straight in approach, circling

• Brian.Smith
  • Topic Author

Brian.Smith created the topic: Straight in approach, circling

Hi Bob
I'm currently doing my second read of your Irex book, just wondering if you could please clear up a confusion of mine.
If you were coming in for a straight approach and you met the S-I minima but you didnt meet the circling minima and for some reason you were unable to land on that S-I rwy, could you then manveoure yourself to land on another rwy? or is being below the circling minima then mean that you must either continue with the approach or conduct a missed approach.
Cheers
Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Straight in approach, circling

Gidday Brian

Providing it is in daylight and your are visual in the circling area, you can manveoure as required, even if you are below the circling minimum, providing you are able to comply with AIP ENR 1.5 para 1.7.6e. I have often mentioned to students that it would be less confusing if the term 'circling minima' was replaced by 'night circling minima'.

Bob

• Brian.Smith
  • Topic Author

Brian.Smith replied the topic: Straight in approach, circling

Thanks bob mate, much appreciated.

Just to confirm in enr 1.5 para1.7.6 b talks about the visibility from the chart, now that youve began circling that would now be the circling vis not the straight in?

Cheeers Brian

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Straight in approach, circling

Yes. Circling visibility along the direction of flight is required and you must remain within the confines of the circling area.

As far as altitude is concerned, although the published circling minimum altitude is based on the highest obstacle within the circling area, if you are visual by day you simply maintain the required obstacle clearance appropriate to your aircraft category above any obstacle you fly over. 300 feet for CAT A or CAT B aircraft. That could be a lot lower than the published circling altitude.

• Brian.Smith
  • Topic Author

Brian.Smith replied the topic: Straight in approach, circling

Thanks for your help mate

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds