Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Speed Limitations in a Holding Pattern

• Burgess
  • Topic Author

Burgess created the topic: Speed Limitations in a Holding Pattern

Hi Bob & Co.

I had this question in an old online exam of yours about the speed of a Cat B aircraft in the hold for the RNAV Rwy 30 at Yorke Island: Question 27 of 40 (Marks: 1)

For a category B aircraft the maximum IAS which may be flown in the holding pattern of the Yorke Island RNAV [GNSS] approach is -

170 kt
100 kt
110 kt
175 kt

answer d: I answered a.

Now on page 5.52 of Bobs study guide there is a line (just above the little picture) that states "For an old criteria chart, it commences the insturment approach procedure where the speed is 175KIAS for all aircraft". What confused me was that your in the holding pattern, you havent commenced the appraoch so for an approach for Cat A&B a/c only the speed should be 170Kts??

Thanks for your time it would be good to clear this as my IREX is tuesday. 4th Sept

PS: does the CASA exam expect you to take into account if an appraoch is new criteria or old criteria?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Speed Limitations in a Holding Pattern

Gidday Burgess

That question has got nothing to do with old or new charts. Yorke Island is a new chart but what is important is that under the categories at the bottom of the chart, Cat C and Cat D have an N/A in the boxes. That means that this approach is approved for Cat A and Cat B aircraft only.

AIP ENR 1.5 para 3.2.1a says that if your are operating in a holding pattern that is limited to Cat a and Cat B aircraft, the speed limit in the holding pattern is 170 kt.

By the way it won't be long before the argument about old and new criteria charts will be meaningless. There are only two old criteria charts left in Australia as far as I know. It's taken quite a few years, but we have finally almost completed the conversion of all charts to the new criteria.

Good luck in the exam. Let us know how you go...

Bob

• Burgess
  • Topic Author

Burgess replied the topic: Re: Speed Limitations in a Holding Pattern

Thanks Bob,

Thats what I thought it was so that's put my mind at ease.

Oh just another quick question while I got you, a friend of mine in his IREX got a question relating to an aerodrome holding requirement on top of a taf with an INTER period, for an aircraft which has only 30mins holding fuel. Now, in your version of this problem you say that the nearest alternate is 45 mins away so the answer can only be one thing, declare an emergency. In the Casa one however they said the alternate is 30 mins away, therefore you can make it without using your fixed reserve, so could you answer to go on to the alternate or declare an emergency?

My friend said that this question confused him awfully as he was torn between the regulation regarding fixed reserve and what was the most practical thing to do.

Kind Regards

Kyron Burgess

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Speed Limitations in a Holding Pattern

That question would require more information before you could give a definitive answer. If you calculated your holding fuel at normal cruise rate, I can't see why you couldn't proceed to your alternate. However if you calculated your holding fuel at a reduced holding rate, you could not make it to the alternate without burning into your fixed reserve.

There is no regulation that refers to the rate used for holding - that is left up to the company's or individual's fuel policy. In fact there is no regulation regarding any fuel reserves. The CAR simply says that you must have 'enough'. However the exam does say that, for the purpose of the examination, you have decided to comply with the CAAP on fuel reserves. That CAAP does require 45 minutes of fixed reserve.

All I can say is that if I was faced with that question and no information regarding the holding rate, I would assume that the cruise rate applies overall. There would be no sense in 'inventing' a holding rate for the sake of the question. So in that case, I would not declare an emergency.

By the way, most sensible IFR pilots would also allow a fixed amount of fuel for the conduct of an instrument approach. Some instrument approaches could easily require up to 10 minutes and if you had to do one at a couple of intermediate landing points, you could find yourself fuel critical by the end of the trip. The CASA exam, however, does specifically say that you are not to make any allowances for instrument approaches.

Bob

• Burgess
  • Topic Author

Thanks again Bob,

Another example of CASAs great questioning system, giving two correct answers in one question!

Thank you for your answers for both of my questions, your forum is fantastic, huge fan!!

Have a good weekend

Kyron

• Burgess
  • Topic Author

Hi Bob

Bit of a delayed reply but I just wanted to let you know I passed my IREX on tuesday! I got 80% but felt I could have done a little better. But I'm not going to complain I'm happy!! Thanks so much for your help!

Now on to my CIR and the mighty Baron 55! I can't wait

Thanks again

Kyron

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds