Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Revision Question 5 - Set 9

• Vedder
  • Topic Author

Vedder created the topic: Revision Question 5 - Set 9

Hi Bob,

The question is along the lines of:

IFR from Winton to Longreach without the recency requirements for an RNAV(GNSS) arrival.
Lowest level before crossing the Longreach VOR?

In the answer it says to check the "GPS" arrival.

Firstly, the Longreach plate has the title GNSS ARRIVAL PROCEDURES which references the LRE VOR for track and GNSS for distance.
Other plates e.g. Cairns have the title "DME or GPS ARRIVAL PROCEDURES" which references the CS VOR for track and either DME or GPS for distance.
I'm guessing the terms GPS and GNSS are interchangeable and are used throughout the plates as referencing the same system. I have read the term GPS is specific to the United States' GNSS system??

I know it is pedantic and the more I look into it, it has to be the case but I just need to confirm the meanings.

Secondly, the answer is (c) saying the track of 126 degrees will put you in sector A. Doesn't 126 degrees put you in sector B. Sector B section gives you a minimum of 1710ft without QNH at 5nm which agrees with the answer. I thought at first I had read the sector A and B references wrong but maybe this is a typo??

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Revision Question 5 - Set 9

I note that Longreach does not have DME so I assume that this phrase is recently introduced to describe what used to be a GPS/DME Arrival when the aerodrome has no DME. The approach chart is exactly what you would expect of a GPS/ DME Arrival. I'll check it out for you. I'm not at the office right now so I can't be sure about Sector A and Sector B, but I'm quite willing to accept that there could be a typo with the answer. I suspect that you are correct about 126 being in Sector B.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds