Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Cyber exm questions

• Mark34
  • Topic Author

Mark34 created the topic: Cyber exm questions

Hi there,

Have got 3 questions from one of the practice cyber exams:

1. One of the questions related to NGT VFR currency for a PVT IFR flight carrying pax. From referencing CAO 40.2.1 para 14.1 (a) and 40.2.2 para 5.1 (a) and (b)(i) I took the currency to be a 1hr flight as PIC or ICUS in the last year and one take-off and landing in the last 6mths. However this was the wrong answer. Can you point me in the right direction here?

2. Another question was on the required published prior notice for a multi-stage pre-flight forecast. I was unable to find the reference for this. Any tips?

3. And lastly... For an LSALT calculation between an aerodrome with an NDB (A) and one without (B), at a distance of 60NM, I took the radius of the LSALT at B to be 10.3NM. However this again proved to be incorrect and i'm unable to work out why after referencing GEN 3.3 para 4.8. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re:Cyber exm questions

Mark

First question:
You are correct, the CAO does say that the requirement for a PVT NGT VFR flight is one landing in the last 6 months. How ever CAR 5.82b says that if you are carrying passengers, you need 3 take-offs and landings in the last 90 days. It has always annoyed me that the CAO doesn't give the CAR as a cross-reference.

Second question:
The reference is AIP GEN Page 22 para 10.3.1

Third question:
It is correct that the splay is 10.3 degrees for a nav aid and after 60nm it would be 10.3nm either side of track. However the area to be considered [the LSALT tolerance area] has a 5nm buffer. So the radius of the semicircle is 10.3 + 5 = 15.3nm.

Keep having fun!!!

Bob

• Mark34
  • Topic Author

Mark34 replied the topic: Re:Cyber exm questions

Bob,

Many thanks for your help.

Mark

• james.niven

james.niven replied the topic: Re: Cyber exm questions

Just finished a cyber exam and I'm a bit puzzled by two of the questions I got wrong.

First one has us flying OZY on the Inverell NDB approach and asks what is the maximum speed after going outbound in the procedure until intercepting the final approach track. The procedure is a base turn reversal and the maximum speed for a Cat B aircraft during reversal procedures is given in the AIP ENR1.5-1.15 table as 140 knots, the answer I chose.

The other question has us tracking from Adelaide to Mount Gambier, after Lake Albert we encounter icing and have to descend. The question asks for the lowest cruising altitude in IMC, the LSALT is 2700 and the track is 142, I chose 3000ft as that is the lowest available IFR cruising level. It is possible to use non-standard levels (ENR1.7-3.2.1) but is that within the scope of the question?

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Cyber exm questions

James

Your first question has been updated in the latest issue of the book. The AIP was recently revised and 140kt for a reversal procedure [your answer] is now the correct answer.

Regarding the second question, it is permissible to descend to a non-standard level if it becomes necessary during flight, but you can't plan at the level in the first place. If you do need to descend to fly at route LSALT or grid lowest safe, you must advise ATS of your intentions and of any further changes to your level as well as give way to any other aircraft if there is a traffic conflict.

Bob

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds