Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

IREX Done

• 172_Freighter
  • Topic Author

172_Freighter created the topic: IREX Done

I've been keeping under the rader a little lately and decided to sit IREX last week. I commence my instrument rating next week and the only exam booking I was able to get was for last Friday - affording me a mere 5 days to prepare!

Using the Bob Tait IREX study guide I was able to achieve a healthy 95%!

I got 2 questions wrong tho, and I am very interested if you would be able to help me in this regard (it will help with my MECIR)

-If established on descent on an NDB approach and the identifier goes quiet, what are you to do? Immediately commence missed app? Climb to MSA? Continue to MDA then MAPt then missed approach?

And yes I did look at the AIP reference although all it really said was that should a missed approach be required before the MAPt you must still track to the MAPt (the reference did not give any insight into vertical navigation requirements)

-Secondly, what about on a DME approach, with the DME failing mid-final.

Thanks again for the excellent study manual!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: IREX Done

Firstly, congratulations on a simply wonderful performance in the IREX. Anyone who can get a mark like that for home study has something to be proud of.

In the case of an aid becoming suspect or failing during the conduct of a missed approach, the missed approach should be commenced immediately. However you shouldn't turn onto the missed approach track until you have established yourself at the missed approach point. For and NDB or VOR that is usually the aid.

That leaves us with a problem. If you have had an aid failure, how do you track to the aid to commence the missed approach track? You would have to dead reckon it. You still commence the climb to MSA immediately, but while the climb is in progress, turn towards the aid. You wont be more that a few minutes away, and since you are already climbing, it is perfectly safe to do that.

When you reckon you are over the aid, turn onto the missed approach track and consider your options.

• jamup

jamup replied the topic: Re: IREX Done

Hi 172 _

I am new to this forum.

I am converting a license to aus IR so I was asked to do IREX and then the check ride for CIR

Since I am new to the Aus system could you please let me know how long did it take you to pass the IREX exams studying the BT IREX book. did you just rely on the question at back of the book? or did you follow anything else?

Can you please let me know the important bits that I need to study.

Thanks and Blue Skies

JAMUP

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds