Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

The Procedure of a Visual Approach at night!

• JamH
  • Topic Author

JamH created the topic: The Procedure of a Visual Approach at night!

Hi Bob!

As I have not had any practical IFR flying or NVFR as of yet, I am trying to picture the procedure of a visual approach at night!

Refer ENR 1.5 p1.14b

Destination A:

No IAL approaches.
No VASIS/PAPI/ILS
CAT B Aircraft

Approaching my destination at night OCTA. I am cruising at the LSALT for the route segment. I get to within 25nm and start to descend to the applicable MSA.

I find myself clear of cloud, in sight of the ground or water, with 5000m visibility.

However, I am not within the circling area for my aircraft.

After reading ENR 1.5 p1.14b, I am assuming that I have to fly to the circling area and then descend overhead the aerodrome? -

Is that correct?

Could you please also tell me the difference between ENR 1.5 p1.14b and ENR 1.10 p1.4.2 in terms of the actual flying procedures:)

Are visual approaches made redundant at aerodromes with GPS/DME Approaches???

Thanks for your help! Love your work:)

JH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: The Procedure of a Visual Approach at night!

Gidday JH.

For an aerodrome without an ILS or VASI/PAPI, I find that the best way to get the message through to sudents is to use the phase:

"fly as though you are still in cloud until you reach the circling area"

No matter how clear the night is, don't yield to the temptation to descend below LSALT or MSA until you are established in the circling area, except that if you are using an RNAV/GNSS approach procedure, follow that procedure as published. However once you are in the circling area, you are still really doing a visual approach and you can break from the procedure if you want to and fly a normal circuit.

The reference in ENR 1.10.1.4.2 is referring to an aerodrome with no approach at all. In that case there will be no circling area anyway. You would have to carry an alternate and use the NGTVFR requirement of 3nm.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds