Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Q34 in IREX Practise exam 2, Single pilot IFR?

• AndrewM123
  • Topic Author

AndrewM123 created the topic: Q34 in IREX Practise exam 2, Single pilot IFR?

G'day again Bob,

in Q34 of IREX Practise exam 2 I thought there could be several correct answers. I can't seem to split the hairs between the answers on this one.

Could you help please,

cheers,

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Q34 in IREX Practise exam 2, Single pilot IFR?

Andrew

I'm not sure which question you are referring to. Can you send me a screen shot of it?

• AndrewM123
  • Topic Author

AndrewM123 replied the topic: Re: Q34 in IREX Practise exam 2, Single pilot IFR?

G'day Bob, please the question below.

Select the minimum instrument time in aeroplanes within the last 90 days required by a pilot with a Command Instrument Rating to act as pilot in command on a single pilot IFR flight in an aeroplane -
Choose one answer.
a. 1 hour ICUS instrument time on any IFR aircraft including one instrument approach
b.1 hour ICUS instrument flight time in an aircraft certified for single-pilot operations, including one instrument approach
c. 1 hour PIC instrument time on an approved synthetic trainer including one instrument approach
d. 1 hour PIC instrument flight time in an aircraft certified for single-pilot including one instrument approach

the correct answer according to the website is b, but read it as c or d also being correct.

Thanks again!

The key words here are 'single pilot'.

The correct answer is
Answer [a] is incorrect because it says 'any IFR aircraft'. If you did your recency in a two-pilot aeroplane, you would not qualify for single pilot operations.

Answer [c] says that you did it in a synthetic trainer. To satisfy the recent experience reqirements you must have your bum off the ground for at least one hour [unless you use an approved level 3 or higher flight simulator].Not very common in GA. Note that a synthetic trainer is not an approved flight simulator.

Answer [d] says that you did one hour as pilot in command. If you are going to use pilot in command time to satisfy recent experience requirements, you must have at least 3 hours as pilot in command, unless you already have met the requirements in a two-pilot aeroplane. In that case, you only need 1 hour in a synthetic trainer with one instrument approach. But that is in addition to three hours in command or one hour's dual or in command under supervision in a two pilot aeroplane.

I suggest you have a careful read of CAO 20.2.1.11

Have fun

Bob

• AndrewM123
  • Topic Author

AndrewM123 replied the topic: Re: Q34 in IREX Practise exam 2, Single pilot IFR?

Thanks for your reply Bob. CAO 40.2.1 para 11.5, sub para a still confuses this answer.

Is there correct answer a combination of CAO 40.2.1 'para 11.2, sub-para c' combinedw with the requirement of para 11.5?

If so then I can see where I went wrong.

Thanks again.

Answer says

"b.1 hour ICUS instrument flight time in an aircraft certified for single-pilot operations, including one instrument approach"

Note that it says "ICUS instrument flight time" One hour instrument flight time dual or ICUS meets the requirement for recency in CAO 40.2.1.11 providing it was done in an aircraft certified for single pilot operations.

You would need no further recency.

• AndrewM123
  • Topic Author

I think I just had an 'ah ha' moment. Thanks for your patience and assistance over the past few weeks. I just finished the exam today with full marks, and would not have been able to do that without you and your website's assistance.

Thanks again and all the best!

Andrew!!

• Michael231

Michael231 replied the topic: Re: Q34 in IREX Practise exam 2, Single pilot IFR?

Bob,
Rather than start another thread relating to the same question I thought I might reply to this and, Andrew123, please forgive me as I dont mean to hijack your question but just expand it a little as Bob may have cleared up my querie that numerous Instructors, 2 differnt ATO's and a CASA FOI have not!.

I am a PPL with a CIR & PIFR. I fly in sunny Central Qld where it can be difficult to get IMC conditions apart from the afternoon thunderies, but they tend to strip the paint off!

I understand 40.2.1.11.2(b) ie 3hrs IMC ea 90 days or 1 hr dual on that category of aircaft ie airplane and not helicoptor. As you say in your book(circa 2005) Bob, that applies to ALL IFR operations but for single pilot IFR there are additional requirements ie "in the last 90 days must include at least one hour instrument time in a single pilot aeroplane and one instrument approach. (The approach could of course be in VFR which is what I do ie VOR, DGA and GNSS/RNAV ea 90 days for currency.)

BUT, 40.2.1.11.5 states; has completed "as a single pilot operation" in an aircraft or trainer one hour + 1 approach as PIC or ICUS.

Now, I cant do ICUS as a PPL. If I have an Instructor with me I am not PIC as he or she is. This means I cannot use the one hour dual I mentioned above. And I may have misinterpreted you Bob but I thought that is what you meant when you answered Andrew123. You said if the one hour dual was in a single pilot aircraft he didnt need to do anything else to meet the requirements.

I am sorry this is going on so long but, my interpretation is that I can meet para 11.5 by doing one hour in the synthetic trainer plus an approach (although i do those in the aircraft anyway) but I will ALSO need to do one hour dual in the aircraft to meet the requirements of para 11.2. HOWEVER 11.5 does not say it is in addition to 11.2 so maybe I am still legal if I only meet the requirement of 11.5 if the ONLY flying I do is in sngle pilot aircraft/operations. To date, no one has been able to answer that question with certainty - including CASA. Hopefully you can Bob.

Cheers

Michael

The requirement in 11.5 is referring to pilots who have met the 3 hours in command or one hour dual/ICUS in a two pilot aircraft and have no time logged in a single pilot aeroplane. Consider an airline pilot who has met the requirements of 11.2 in the course of his/her normal duties in a 737 and now wants to hire a GA single for an IFR flight. Then he/she must meet the requirements of 11.5.

However, if you have met the requirements of 11.2 and have done one instrument approach in a single pilot aeroplane, then you have already satisfied the requirements of 11.5 so that requirement does not apply to you.

Cheers

• Michael231

Michael231 replied the topic: Re: Q34 in IREX Practise exam 2, Single pilot IFR?

In Bob we trust! That is the most lucid clarification to date Bob. Many thanks. I always do my approaches within 90 days so if I dont happen to have enough en-route IMC to meet 11.2 then an hour with an Isntructor will keep me in the black for a ramp check. Two years after getting my CIR I still use your textbook for reference and clarification of the AIP and CAO's.

Cheers

Michael

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds