Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

ILS APCH & MAPt

• jazz
  • Topic Author

jazz created the topic: ILS APCH & MAPt

Hi Bob / Richard,

There is a question on ILS APCH and its MAPt!! As your DEST AD weather is marginal, what would allow you the "maximum permissible time" to search for the RWY on APCH? If not break visual from cloud, what would be the necessary action?

a) 550' & maintain height until MAPt then carry out MAP.
b) 550' & commence MAP immediately.
c) 250' & Commence MAP immediately.
d) 250' & maintain heigh until MAPt then carry out MAP.

I got the wrong answer as (a). I think the correct answer should be (c), right? If so, how does that permit me "maximum permissible time" looking out for the RWY THR or APCH Lighting or Other Identified RWY Markings?

As for another question, under "Other identified RWY Markings", I think TWY does not fall into the category...right?

Below are the mutliple choices:
a) VASIS
b) RWY Edge Lighting
c) RWY APCH Lighting
d) TWY Lighting
e) RWY Centreline Lighting

Pls kindly assist me in clearing my doubts for my coming next IREX attempt. Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: ILS APCH & MAPt

Since you have provided only the answers and not the question it is difficult to say. But there are a couple of points to make. Firstly, there is no such thing as a missed approach POINT for an ILS approach. An ILS is a precision approach and all precision approaches have a DA [Decision ALTITUDE]. Your missed approach must be commenced at that ALTITUDE no matter where you happen to be. There is no POINT involved and no level flight involved. An ILS would give you no time to search for the RWY, if you're not visual at the DA, you must commence a missed approach immediately.

On the other hand, if you were doing a LOC approach, then, if you arrived at MDA before the missed approach point, you could continue level at MDA to the missed approach point while you were deciding if you had the required visibility to land.

Regarding your second question, the AIP says 'the approach lights or other markings associated with the approach end of the runway. I agree that taxiway lighting would not qualify.

• jazz
  • Topic Author

jazz replied the topic: Re: ILS APCH & MAPt

Hi Sir Bob,

The above question appeared during my IREX exam. The question mentioned that you are conducting an ILS RWY 21 into Perth. The weather at the aerodrome is marginal. To ensure maximum permissible time to sight the runway breaking out of the cloud, what would be the appropriate minima and missed approach procedure if you have not break visual?

Chart provding minima of LOC/DME at 550ft AMSL and ILS at 250ft AMSL.Answer should be?

a) 550ft and maintain MDA until MAPt then missed approach
b) 550ft and conduct missed approach immediately
c) 250ft and conduct missed approach immediately
d) 250ft and maintain until MAPt then missed approach.

After my analysis, I would prefer to choose (c) as my answer. Am I correct?

Many thanks.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds