Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Take-off minima

• jazz
  • Topic Author

jazz created the topic: Take-off minima

Hi Bob/Richard,

I am facing challenges by questions on "determining take-off minma". Pls help!!

1) According to JEPP, the take-off minima for a safe return to DEPARTURE AD is either LSALT or MSA, for ME/IFR flight...Is it correct?

2) The other statement is that the take-off minima of 300ft-VIS 2.0km, for "Other IFR flight". What does it mean by "Other IFR Flight"?

3) Being faced by a scenario of engine failure on OZY, which will be the "Take-Off Minima" that I should follow?

I really think you guys are the only ones who can help me. Hope to hear from you soon. Bon weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: Take-off minima

You can be sure that you will not be a 'qualifying aircraft' as described in AIP ENR 1.5 para 4.3.1, so OZY will be classified as 'other IFR aircraft' as described in AIP ENR 1.5 para 4.4.

The take-off minima that apply to you will depend on your intentions if an engine should fail in IMC after take-off. If your intention is to continue to an aerodrome other than the departure aerodrom [not advisable in OZY, or any other GA twin], then you must be sure you can climb to the LSALT for the route on one engine. If this is your decision, you can depart with vis 2000m and ceiling of 300ft AGL.

More likely your decision will be to return to the departure aerodrome in the event of an engine failure in IMC. In that case, you cannot depart unless you know you will be able to land under the ambient conditions that you observe at take-off. Therefore your take-off minima will be the landing minima for the most suitable instrument approach that you are qualified to use - or a visual approach.

Note that in a single engine aircraft, you will not be going on or back in the event of an engine failure. For all single engine aircraft the take-off minima will always be 2000m and 300ft ceiling. However such a flight would have to be a PVT/AWK flight unless you are flying a Cessna Caravan or a PC12.

In any examination question, the examiner would have to tell you what decision has been made for OZY.

Bob

• jazz
  • Topic Author

jazz replied the topic: Re: Take-off minima

Hi Sir Bob,

Thanks for your clarification. I have a better picture now. You are indeed a great teacher.

• yotobeats

yotobeats replied the topic: Re: Take-off minima

Hello Bob, I am bit confused here. This is one of the questions from practice tests.

Refer to ERC 7.

You depart Andamooka for Oodnadatta in VH-OZY. The Andamooka NDB is unserviceable due to recent storm damage. Your intention is to return to Andamooka should an engine fail in IMC after departure. You plan to track to Oodnadatta via W764.

You are not current on RNAV[GNSS] approaches.

The meteorological minima for your departure Andamooka is a visibility of 5 km and a cloud ceiling of -
Choose one answer.
2300 feet
2800 feet
2050 feet
2550 feet
The Answer according to the test result 2050ft.. But How?? I thought the answer should be 2300ft.

ps. There is NO DAPS available for Andamooka

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds