Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Query regarding 2 questions in IREX exam prep

• T207A
  • Topic Author

T207A created the topic: Query regarding 2 questions in IREX exam prep

G'day guys,

I completed my first exam prep test today and came across the following question:

"For a multi-stage flight from Melbourne to Darwin the published prior notice required for a pre-flight forecast is -"

Answers to choose from were 12 Hours / 8 Hours / 24 Hours or 3 Hours.

I don't recall coming across this at all through Bob's IREX study guide, and despite me giving it my best effort to find a reference for this in the Jepps, I couldn't find anything remotely close. As I was doing this practice exam under test (time) conditions I had to take a stab and move on to the next question.

Turns out the answer is 8 Hours :unsure:

Would appreciate if you could advise what this question is in reference to, and hopefully a relevant Jeppesen reference so I can go do some reading!

Second question:

"You are carrying out the RWY 21 LLZ approach into Perth in OZY. A notam advises that the HIAL on this runway is not available due maintenance.

The minima for this approach would be -"

Correct answer quotes "550 feet and 2.8 km "

My Jepp plate for this approach states LOC/DME MDA is 550' and visibility 1.9KM.
Why is the answer 2.8KM?

Am I incorrect in assuming the statement about HIAL is irrelevant to this question because it is a non precision approach?

Thanks for any help / advice you can give :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: Query regarding 2 questions in IREX exam prep

Evening!

The reference you're looking for regarding prior notice period for this flight is in AIP GEN 3.5 10.3 (p.23). You can read the original AIP doc online at the Air Services Website .

As for the HIAL question, we got a ruling back from CASA on that one and you you can see the answer in this forum post .

By my understanding, your answer is correct. The minima are 550ft and 1.9 km. There is no need to add 900m to the visibility minima if HIAL is unserviceable so "550ft and 2.8km" is incorrect.

I'll go and check that in the question bank right now and regrade the existing exam attempts :)

Cheers,

Rich

• T207A
  • Topic Author

T207A replied the topic: Re: Query regarding 2 questions in IREX exam prep

Thanks Rich.

Found the Jepp reference, would you believe it.... in the first couple of pages in the Meteorology secion :blush: (Met AU-6 6.3.1 if anyone else is interested)

Cheers for clearing up the HIAL question.

Regards,

Luke

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds