Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Confused on NVFR and CIR single and dual recency

• farrell
  • Topic Author

farrell created the topic: Confused on NVFR and CIR single and dual recency

Hi bob and all, hope some one can shed some light on this topic. I am getting confused when the questions relate to SE and ME CIR. When its says you have done a certain amount of landings or hours they have done i always get the questin wrong. The same with NVFR questions with charter or air work and the aeronautical and recent experience. No matter how many times i read 42.2.1 and all thats around it and Bobs study guide its still not clicking.

for example this question
A pilot with a CIR may act a PIC on a single pilot IFR CHTR flight in an aircraft if he has recorded which of the following instrument times in aircraft, appropriate for the respective type of operation, with in the last 90 days?
(A) Multi Crew Operations 10 hours PIC instrument flight time including several instrument approaches; single pilot operations - 3 hour PIC instrument flight time but no inst app
(B) Multi Crew Operations - 3 hours ICUS instrument flight time including several instrument approaches; single pilot operations - 4 hours dual instrument flight time includingv several instument app
(C) Multi Crew Operations 4 hours dual inst flight time including several instrument approaches; single pilt operations - 2 hour dualinst flight time including several instument approaches
(D) Multi Crew Operations 2 hours dual instrument flight time including several instrument aproache; single pilot ops 3 hours ICUS instrument flight time with several inst app.

I look at all that and I can see any familiar numbers and it doesnt make sense.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lindsay

lindsay replied the topic: Re: Confused on NVFR and CIR single and dual recency

Hey Farrell,

Don't worry about the SE or ME CIR for the recency question.

Instrument time is instrument time whether its co-pilot or PIC. Your getting confused with the whole "multi crew operations" / "single pilot IFR." Just remember to fly single pilot IFR you have to have as part of your instrument time the experience in 40.2.1 p11.5

So for your question, it is asking about the recency requirements for a single pilot IFR flight so lets first deal with the single pilot requirements to see if we can eliminate some of the answers.

A. has no single pilot IFR approaches as required by 40.2.1 p11.5 so it cant be the answer.
B. has 4hrs dual including instrument approaches however 40.2.1 p11.5 requires 1hr PIC or ICUS so it cant be the answer.
C. 2 hrs dual once again no PIC or ICUS so it cant be the answer.
D. 3hrs single pilot IFR ICUS with instrument approaches so this satisfies 40.2.1 p11.5. Now lets make sure the general IFR recency is also met. Look at 40.2.1 p11.2. The experience only needs to satisfy one of the four options and option p11.2 (c) is the one.

As it turns out D is the answer and it would be correct even without the multicrew operations and the single pilot ICUS only needed to be 1hr with 1 approach.

If the question specified a particular approach you would need to read on through 40.2.1 p11.3.

As you can see we didn't touch the Night VFR recency because there was no Night VFR in the flight. If part of the flight was to be flown under the night VFR then you would need to refer to 40.2.1 p14. (or just look at the contents of 40.2.1 to find the right paragraph.) But there is something missing in this section that is easiest to just remember. It fails to remind you that if you are carrying passengers the CAR requires 3 takeoff and landings in the last 90 days (at night for night vfr flights).

Hope this helps.

Lindsay

• farrell
  • Topic Author

farrell replied the topic: Re: Confused on NVFR and CIR single and dual recency

Cheers for that lindsay, ill have to keep reading bobs notes, what you said and 42.1, i jsut hope theres not more than 2 questions on that.

Cheers

farrell

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds