Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the IREX question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

GPS permitted in Lieu of DME

• Harrisonheli
  • Topic Author

Harrisonheli created the topic: GPS permitted in Lieu of DME

Just a Little confused with this

The CAO indicates that a pilot may use the DME on instrument approaches even if they are not DME endorsed. CAO 40.2.1 13.4
However, They can not use it for DME Arrival Procedures.

I am happy with that but..

When an approach plate says "GPS permitted in Lieu of DME", does this mean that a TSO'd GPS can be used by a pilot that is not GPS(GNSS) or RNAV endorsed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Re: GPS permitted in Lieu of DME

Good question and we might have to get Bob's ruling on that.

From what I read in the requirements, you're not allowed to use a GPS while exercising the privileges of your instrument rating unless CAO 40.2.1 is satisfied (specifically 13.6, 13.7 and 13.8) and you may only perform RNAV (GNSS) approaches if you are endorsed on them and satisfy CAO 40.2.1 13.4A.

So, I would be tempted to say you could use the TSO'd GPS for distance measuring despite not being endorsed specifically on RNAV (GNSS) approaches but then only if you have received GPS training and you've had your logbook endorsed to that effect.

Cheers,

Rich

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Re: GPS permitted in Lieu of DME

When I present GPS to a class I usually put it this way.

Think of the sky divided into two zones.
1. At or above LSALT. You may use the GPS for both tracking and distance information provided you have a certificate of competency in your log book indicating that you have completed an approved course on the use of that GPS. This is a once only course and the approval does not require renewal.

2. Below LSALT you may use the GPS for distance information only when conducting a GPS/DME arrival. However during a GPS/DME arrival you must not use the GPS for tracking. All tracking must be on a 'conventional' aid such as NDB or VOR. The GPS is simply a substitute for the DME in this case, and you do not need an RNAV/GNSS endorsement to do a GPS/DME arrival. A GPS/DME arrival, however, does require a specific endorsement and is subject to renewal.

An RNAV/GNSS approach is a completely different kettle of fish. In this approach you will be using the GPS for both tracking and distance information. You cannot do an RNAV/GNSS approach unless you are specifically endorsed and current on that procedure.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds