Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

AHUF Fail - TEM Question

• tjtailwheel
  • Topic Author

tjtailwheel created the topic: AHUF Fail - TEM Question

I sat AHUF and missed out on the pass by 1% I'm planning to resit soon but I've got a TEM question that's stuck with me...

You're flying a multi-crew turbine RPT operation into a busy uncontrolled airport that you know has a lot of ab-initio training, you decide to listen out on the CTAF early to gauge the experience of pilots in the area and make your required inbound broadcasts. This is an example of:

a) a planning countermeasure
b) an execution countermeasure
c) a review countermeasure
d) something about a threat or error I can't remember but I discounted this option

I put execution countermeasure but the TEM KDRs I had suggests I got this wrong. What would the most appropriate option be?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BStanmore

BStanmore replied the topic: AHUF Fail - TEM Question

Anything on this?

• Qfly

Qfly replied the topic: AHUF Fail - TEM Question

I would say the best answer is; c) a review countermeasure

You are assessing or shall we call it "evaluating" the environment to "make changes as the flight proceeds", call it "modifying plans." Listening on the CTAF will enable better SA for the pilot and allow him/her to modify the approach based on traffic conditions. As stated in the first part of the question - you decide to listen out on the CTAF early to gauge the experience of pilots in the area.

Again perhaps it's all in the wording, the last part mentions about making required inbound broadcasts, I would argue that this would be an example of an Execution Countermeasure but feel the question is aiming at the first part as described above. You would obviously make the inbound broadcasts in any case, however you may not listen out that early on approaching the field to assess traffic and pilot experience in the area, if you did I would say this is best related to the actions defined as a review countermeasure.

review countermeasures: evaluating and modifying plans as the flight proceeds, and inquiry and assertiveness to identify and address issues in a timely way.

• stevocarter

stevocarter replied the topic: AHUF Fail - TEM Question

Review and counter measure don’t fit in the same sentence. ( that’s why review lives at the end of the CLEAR model.)
Counter measure means to counteract a threat, where as review is to take stock of what is happening or has happened.
Execution, is actually happening, so can’t be a counter measure at the same time.
So imo correct answer would be planning counter measure.
Pity we can’t see option 4, but whole question is a threat management strategy issue, and practically in the real world a bloody good idea in this example, except not sure how you would analyze each call signs experience level, other than to know it’s a training airfield. But CASA examiners know best…
Steve’s 5 cents.

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds