Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

HPL

• pfs1803
  • Topic Author

pfs1803 created the topic: HPL

Can anyone help me with this question? I am confused as to the solution to this question from a school exam.

As a pilot turns onto finals to land, he becomes aware of a strong electrical smell in the cockpit as if something is burning or suffering a short circuit. Whilest distracted by this, he inadvertently allows the nose of the aircraft to lower causing the approach speed and rate of descent to increase substantially that leads to the aircraft undershooting the runway.

In the TEM model, the pilot's first priority in this situation should be to:
a. Raise the nose of the aircraft
b. Reduce the rate of descent
c. Declare an emergency
d. Reduce airspeed to the correct approach speed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: HPL

The first priority in any undesired aircraft state is to first deal with the undesired aircraft state (UAS). In this case the UAS is that the aircraft is on final with an airspeed above the recommended approach speed. So reduce the airspeed to the correct figure. The deal with the undershoot by applying power if necessary.

• MissSoph

MissSoph replied the topic: HPL

Could someone please help me out with this questions...a Pilot is under pressure from his employer to get back before his duty hrs expires... would this be an external threat...due to time pressure to meet schedules? Actual answer given was a latent threat....

A Pilot fails to put on his anti icing which causes icing... but he recovers and lands fine.... so the threat would be and environmental threat which results in a procedural error..do I have that correct....

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: HPL

According to CASA, failure to select anti-icing would be a handling error (anything that involves the pilot operating switches etc). The threat would be an environmental threat.

• MissSoph

MissSoph replied the topic: HPL

Thank you bob... and the top question... about pressure to meet time schedules?

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds