Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

CRM: First officer assertive or supportive ?

• anfield
  • Topic Author

anfield created the topic: CRM: First officer assertive or supportive ?

I completed CASA HPL exam last week, however in my KDR's I got a CRM question wrong.

During an emergency situation what attributes should the first officer convey to the Captain.

A) Supportive
B ) Anti- Authority
C) Assertive
D) Macho

I chose C and was wrong, as I though the First officer shouldn't be supportive incase the captain made an incorrect decision.

Thanks Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: CRM: First officer assertive or supportive ?

Hi Tom,

I would go for (A) since supportive doesn't mean "supportive no matter what the captain does". That would be closer to being "deferent". Assertive would be required if the captain was making a bad decision.

A supportive FO would be more use in the normal handling of an emergency.

Cheers,

Rich

• Nash

Nash replied the topic: CRM: First officer assertive or supportive ?

Hi guys, just a quick review on this one - the answer is definitely 'Assertive'. Got this question yesterday and got it right. I believe the reasoning behind this is that the FO must be able to communicate or act in a firm/bold and confident/self-assured way (assertively). During an emergency that really helps. Does not matter if the Captain is right or wrong. Assertiveness really helps towards a more efficient CRM and therefore a more positive outcome in an emergency situation.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds