Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Exam passed, questions I got wrong

• Duncan
  • Topic Author

Duncan created the topic: Exam passed, questions I got wrong

Hi All,

I just passed my CHUF exam on Thursday with 93% thanks to Bob's HPL text book and all the help on these forums from Bob, Richard and everyone else on here. Thank you all for your help! :)

Looking at my KDRs, I got three questions wrong and I believe I know what they were. I thought I would share with you all to get some insight on them and to hopefully benefit others. The 3 sections/questions were:

KDR - Effect of noise exposure:

Question asking what the effects of noise exposure could be, with roughly the following answers:
a) Permanent, measurable hearing loss which can be corrected for by an audiologist
b) Gradual, permanent hearing loss, leading to loss of licence
c) Answer stating that hearing loss is only temporary
d) Answer stating that hearing loss is only temporary

I can't quite remember which I chose in the end but I was tossing up between a & b, I think I went for a and got it wrong. I know that hearing loss is permanent. I didn't think you would lose your licence from a hearing loss in the high frequencies? I thought that an audiologist could correct for hearing loss with the use of a hearing aid?

KDR - Listening Techniques:

Question asking what best describes ‘Active Listening’, with roughly the following answers:
a) Listening fully for better understanding
b) A SAR scanning technique
c) Listening Watch to spot traffic better/improve situational awareness
d) Something completely unrelated

Initially, I selected answer a (which is the correct answer) but unfortunately I second guessed myself later on and changed my answer to c. Once I flicked back through the HPL book after the exam (pg117 to be precise) I realised that I should have trusted my first answer! I don't recall there being a practice question on 'Active Listening' in the book or the online exam prep - might not be a bad idea to include such a question to help people to cement the term into their long term memory?

KDR – Use of checklist & SOP:

Bit ‘fuzzy’ on this one but I believe it was a question asking about the benefit of using checklists in the TEM model, with roughly the following answers:
a) To eliminate errors
b) To help manage errors
c) To prevent undesired aircraft states
d) Something about preventing threats

I know that you can't eliminate threats or errors, they are just par for the course, so it couldn't be answers a or d. So I was stuck between answers b & c - once again, I can't quite remember which one I put down. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this one?

Good luck to those yet to sit the CHUF, I hope this post is of some help to you. I'm off to the airport shop to get a copy of Bob's CPL performance book, then it's air law, then some hour building, then some dual time to iron out the creases, then the flight test! It's a long old road studying on your own on the side of full time work but Bob's books and this forum definitely make the journey a lot easier! Thanks again :)

Cheers,
Duncan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Exam passed, questions I got wrong

Hi Duncan,
Checklists are a countermeasure which are there to identify and mitigate (manage) threats. I reckon (d) would be your best bet. You are right, you cannot eliminate errors, only correct them. You do not directly prevent UAS's - you mitigate threats which lead to the errors which produce the UAS. Just my 2 cents worth :)
Cheers,
Rich

• Duncan
  • Topic Author

Duncan replied the topic: Exam passed, questions I got wrong

Thanks Rich. I'm just doing my KDR notes relating to the above questions and the syllabus area for the threat and error management question reads:

"(b) explain how the use of checklists and standard operating procedures can prevent errors;"

So I'm guessing that one of the answers referred to using a checklist in order to prevent errors. I think I mistook their use of the word 'prevent' to be akin to 'eliminate' and thought that preventing an error couldn't be the correct answer as you can't eliminate all errors. Such subtle word difference:

Prevent: keep (something) from happening.
Eliminate: completely remove or get rid of (something).

A big thanks to CASA for teaching me the subtleties of the English language. Reading the CAAP, I've taken next to near bugger all away in terms of real life examples of aviation accidents/incidents and how to recognise, plan, prevent, manage, etc. However, I have learnt lots of different bits of terminology and my English has improved - that was the point of TEM wasn't it?! :)

Cheers,
Duncan

• Richard

Richard replied the topic: Exam passed, questions I got wrong

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, Duncan :D
We all feel your pain with regards to TEM. You are not alone in your conclusions on how TEM is being examined. I'm very glad you passed though, mate. Great news. Knock over those KDRs and your examiner will sigh with relief that they don't need to quiz you on it too deeply.

Cheers,

Rich

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds