Header1200x385

facebook_page_plugin
× Welcome to the CPL HPL question and answer forum. Please feel free to post your questions but more importantly also suggest answers for your forum colleagues. Bob himself or one of the other tutors will get to your question as soon as we can.

Is there such a thing as a 'Configuration Error'?

• Duncan
  • Topic Author

Duncan created the topic: Is there such a thing as a 'Configuration Error'?

Hi All,

I'm just doing the 'More TEM Questions' on pgs 135-137 of the HUF book. The answer to question 7 reads as follows: 'An environmental threat leading to a configuration error'. I didn't think there was such a thing as a 'Configuration Error'? At least, as far as I can see the book doesn't mention it? An 'An aircraft Configuration State' is an example of a UAS but the only errors mentioned are: Handling errors (systematic, random, sporadic), procedural errors, communication errors and committed errors.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks,
Duncan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Duncan
  • Topic Author

Duncan replied the topic: Is there such a thing as a 'Configuration Error'?

Really sorry to 'bump' this post but I have the exam this week and it would be great to figure this out. I'm busy reading caap 5.59 and I can't see anything referring to a 'configuration error'?

I completely understand the benefits of TEM but I'm really not enjoying trying to squeeze all of this subtle terminology into my brain!

Thanks, Duncan

• Thank you received: 257

bobtait replied the topic: Is there such a thing as a 'Configuration Error'?

Gidday Duncan
That was a typo. You are correct, there is no such thing as a configuration error. The answer to that question should have been (b).
The latest print of the book has made the necessary change.

The introduction of TEM had some potential benefits, however CASA has made a mess of introducing it as an exam topic. The idea of learning the peculiar names for types of threats, errors and undesired aircraft states misses the whole point. In so many cases you could argue that a particular threat or error could fit more than one classification. The best approach was the 'old' Aviation Safety Digest that presented actual case studies of accidents and incidents along with causes and suggested remedies. TEM should never have been the subject of examination questions.
TEM (Terrible Educational Muddle).

• Duncan
  • Topic Author

Duncan replied the topic: Is there such a thing as a 'Configuration Error'?

I couldn't agree more. I can understand the need for the "formalisation of common sense" as a frame work for pilots and regulatory/investigative bodies to discuss/present statistical information relating to aviation accidents/incidents, with the goal of increasing safety. However, as you say, the way that CASA examines the TEM subject area has turned it into an exercise of Taxonomy, which distracts from the potential benefit this subject area could potentially have. For me, it ended up being a case of parrot fashion learning of nomenclature and 'taxonomy classes' to answer CASA's exam questions which had limited relation to real world examples. They wanted me to 'name' the potential accident, instead of challenging me as to how I would 'manage' the situation. I take more learnings out of the TV show 'Air Crash Investigations' than I do from the governing bodies examination syllabus and questions in TEM..........that's a thought, perhaps CASA should get the people at Air Crash Investigations to write the questions!!

Yes, it has been so sad to see the mood in the class room change from enthusiastic participation to painful groans of despair since the introduction of TEM.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds